Bulwark

Bluenose II by Bulwark - Artesinia Latina - Scale 1:75

41 posts in this topic

Planks aren't filling the space to the batten.

This is the weird thing. If I measure from the lowest existing plank (as if it were the 4mm/8mm mark from the deck) to the batten then the tic marks show too big at the 8, as if expecting me to widen the plank, lol.

I tried using John's method with 1/4" squares but that gave me weird issues with bulkhead 8 (tic marks being wider than the plank). I then used the planking triangle pdf from the site. That worked, but only for 35mm width from the deck tick mark to the batten. Any smaller widths and it doesn't seem to work (again, the 8 bulkhead plank width is wider than the planks themselves). 

Maybe I missed something in my reasoning. 

Hi Chap,

From my perspective, I wouldn't tear off what you have already done.

This is double Planked, Yes?

If it were me, I'd continue with what you are doing, make it a learning experience....

If you end up with "Longitudinal" gaps between adjacent planks, you don't have to rely on Filler alone but you can cut material to fit the gaps.

Once the first cover is done, Fill/Sand and try to make the second cover as good as possible. (This is what I went through also with my BN II, if any consolation.... :))

I found also, that it was best to move on and "Make Good" rather to "Tear Down" and try to make perfect.

"Perfect" will come with time, at least, that's what I tell myself. :)

Cheers....HOF.

Bulwark likes this

Just looking carefully at your photo of the planking batten I'm wondering ig it is actually 35 mm down on bulkhead #8  It looks like more to me when I compare to my own photo and to John's in the tutorial.  remember you want to measure along the bulkhead.  I use a strip of paper marker at 35mm and lay it along the bulkhead to mark the 35mm location.  If your planking batten is too low it is not too late to move it.  You'll have to remeasure at all the other bulkheads but it is quite recoverable!

Okay. Great idea! I shall check those and reposition the batten if the measure is wrong.

Okay, that worked. Still a bit of discrepancy at the batten on both sides. We'll see how it goes.

DSC_0157.thumb.JPG.97fa09e4ba6ab6592aabfaf3aee60641.JPGDSC_0158.thumb.JPG.e78539f35d991a9c63c7771efa623405.JPG

hof00 likes this

The batten is just there as a guide.  You can remove it as you proceed with the bottom of the hull.

Your moving fast!!!!

As Doug says, the planking batten is just a guide - not an absolute. When you fair the bulkheads, you might take off more or less material than someone else building the same model so your measurement from keel to deck along any given bulkhead could be slightly different. The key with this and perhaps most other models is that you want all the planks at the widest part of the ship to be about the same width (mostly because it looks nicer). It doesn't matter what that exact width is. For example, if when you measure along the outside of the bulkhead you determine it is 75mm from deck to keel (assuming that's the area you plan to cover - I'm not referring to this model specifically) and you want to use 15 planks, then each plank needs to be 5mm wide at that bulkhead. If you decided you wanted to cover that space with 17 planks, then each plank would have to be about 4.4mm wide at that bulkhead. The number of planks you use is up to you. Of course, if you want to make a realistic model, you might not choose to use planks that would be 3 feet wide on a real ship! And, as with any rule, there are always exceptions. The garboard plank, for instance, could be wider than the rest of the planks. That's not the case on this particular model, however. As you measure plank widths for other bulkheads, the width of the plank will change since the overall space to cover is less on the other bulkheads, but you want to strive, again, to have all of the planks on any given bulkhead to be the same width. In your last pic above, that final plank next to the batten concerns me a little because it seems way too narrow at the ends. It may, however, just appear that way in the photo. Still, I'd take a look at that before going further. You may need to re-do that one. Overall though, it seems to be coming along just fine.

By the way - I heartily agree with the suggestion to just buy basswood if you need more planking material. There's no point in buying expensive boxwood - especially if you plan to paint the hull.

Cheers -

John

Am  right  In thinking the planks going to the second batten are all about 4mm wide at the 7-13? I did the calculations but i don't trust my brain tight now. I am seeing that some planks near the bow are basically going to be sheared as they run out of room... hitting the keel.

That plank you were talkng about, John, is relatively the same size as the others. There are discrepancies but they seemed to even out.. lol. 

I can't say exactly what width your planks should be, but there should be 5 planks between the bottom-most plank of the first belt and the top of the second batten. Of course, the width of each plank will change as you move aft. So the width of the plank at bulkhead 7 will be greater than the width of that same plank at bulkhead 13. You might want to take a look at page 6 of part 2 where I talk about placing the second batten. Note that the hull is fuller between bulkheads 8 and 9 than it is on either bulkhead. So in order to have a 5mm wide plank between those two bulkheads, the plank has to be slightly less wide on the bulkheads on either side. That's the reason for pulling that second batten up the hull a bit.

Note too, that when you plank the second belt, you'll wind up with fewer planks on each bulkhead as you move forward from bulkhead 7. That's discussed on page 6 as well.

In my defense i was a bit sleep deprived. But i figured it out, read and reread. Looks like five planks will reach the batten. A bit shy of it on 7 but, i hope, close enough. I'm getting better at trimming planks. Will post a pic soon.

planking is a fairly meticulous process. I find i lose myself in it. Except when I m muttering under my breath after breaking a plank. I tend to double and triple check my measurements, but am trying to not go so far as descent into second guessing every move.

great advice all around, folks. Much appreciated!

Heronguy likes this