I got to the point where I have to paint the inner bulwarks of my Pickle. I searched this section of the forum and numerous build logs but didn't find a lot of tips on how to do this. The articles/downloads section of the website doesn't have anything on painting as well...

Do I just simply secure the deck with masking tape and paint the bulwarks hoping that I wont stain the deck or are there any tricks and/or special techniques that I could use? I'm especially concerned about the curvy sections.

IMG_0171.thumb.JPG.e3c5ede6947ceb5f6910dcc222f1269b.JPG

Edited by Peter Y.

Hi Peter.

It's looking great :)

You could mask it carefully, and paint the bulwarks, but then if you want to get a really neat line, add a pre-painted strip at the bottom of the bulwark to get a pin-sharp divide. This would allow you to stop painting slightly short of the deck too. I hope Jason (Beef Wellington) won't mind me pointing to his thread as an example of how this strip can look really tidy!

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/7219-hms-jason-by-beef-wellington-caldercraft-164-artois-class-frigate-modified-from-hms-diana-1794/&page=18&tab=comments#comment-567526

If there's a coat or two of varnish on the deck planking, you'll probably have a better shot at removing any paint that creeps onto the deck under the masking?

Rob

Hi Peter, I recently did this for my current build (HMCSS Victoria) - see about half way down page 6.  My waterways were a little more complicated and I had to mask the outer hull as well but there I used cheaper masking tape.  I simply masked the deck and airbrushed, but brushing will also work.  The trick is to use a very good quality masking tape on the deck edge (I use Tamiya) and ensure a good seal by burnishing with small rounded end picks/burnishing tools.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I had a look in both build logs and found them quite helpful. Thank you for the links!

14 hours ago, robdurant said:

If there's a coat or two of varnish on the deck planking, you'll probably have a better shot at removing any paint that creeps onto the deck under the masking?

Yes, there are indeed two coats of varnish. I didn't think of it as a lifebuoy but it's a good point Rob.

33 minutes ago, BANYAN said:

The trick is to use a very good quality masking tape on the deck edge (I use Tamiya) and ensure a good seal by burnishing with small rounded end picks/burnishing tools.

That's the tape that I'll be using - not knowing anything about the craft I just went with what many people here recommended. Sounds like a great tip with the burnishing.

I was thinking whether time or temperature are factors when it comes to the masking tape sealing abilities. For example:

- Will applying the tape and leaving it for an hour before painting make any difference?

- How about blowing some hot air on it? Wouldn't that 'loosen' the tape's adhesive and enable it to fill any surface irregularities better?