HMS Victory by Erik Nyren - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - slightly bashed

Hello all.

Thanks for all kind remarks, maeks it all great fun along with any feedback and tips I can get.

Matti: Theres has been some progress, all LED for the lower gunports are up and running and the pictures for the lower and middle deck false guns are glued in place. This meens that I´m back to doing some actual wood-work wich is nice. Final fairing of bulkheads, fixing the gunport patterns and starting on the galleries is next along with the first planking. There will also be additional LED:s in the sidegalleries.

Pictures soon

Erik

Matti I tried to take some pictures but I´m unable to get any good shots of the LED system, To dark or to bright and all to bad for posting.

I have started to glue the gunport patterns in place though and they are pretty straight forward

Erik

• 2 weeks later...

The patterns were quite straight forward with a pretty good fit right out of the box. At the stern middle row of gunports, bulkhead 17 (I think) was showing if I had the patterns perfectly aligned with the stern. I chose to adjust the patterns slightly to cover the bulkhead resulting in a less than perfect fit at the stern. I´m thinking it will be easier to cover the malfit at the stern rather than fiddeling with the bulkhead thickness. The future will tell. :P

post-138-0-42578500-1385246683_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-50508500-1385246698_thumb.jpg

Now the patterns tilt upwards at the bow which will force the planking to do the same, This I believe is wrong. The planking should be more horizontal folowing the waterline or am I wrong?

Anyway as theres a second planking, sealer and paint to go, so I guess it matters little to the final result.

post-138-0-19997300-1385247116_thumb.jpg

Erik

Well yes your daughter in a box sure does put a scale on things!! having watched you build your previous fleet Bella and i will be following from the Caribbean this winter We got a new carbon fiber mast for the yacht last spring so now back at work on the yacht and not in my basement with all my other shipwrights 

Best Andy and Bella

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Finally some planking !!! It´s been a while and I´m looking forward to try my hands on using a set of proportional dividers. A first of two layers is perfect to try it out.

I´m not to impressed with the cut of the first planking strips so I pushed them through a thickness sander.

post-138-0-44201200-1385247665_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-12189900-1385247674_thumb.jpg

I measured out a space of five strips and placed a temporary battern on the side of the hull folowing it´s natural flow, unfortionally I neglected to soak it in water and alas it broke at the stern.........

post-138-0-30633800-1385247796_thumb.jpg

Setting my dividers on five I could meassure the distance on one bulkhead and the other end of the dividers shows me how much needs to be tapered at that specific bulkhead. There were a bit of tapering at the bow however the stern called for a stealer.

post-138-0-96458900-1385247906_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-53156000-1385247913_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-75878300-1385247920_thumb.jpg

Edited by Erik Nyren

First strip of the planking in place using the brass pins that came with the kit to hold it down. I drilled 0.4mm holes in the plank so that it would not split when pinned down. The pins can be reused wich is nessecary as theres not enough of them to leave them in. Some pins I left in particulary at the stern and the bow along the apron as theese are areas that are particulary difficult and can do with some extra strength.

post-138-0-62107100-1385248286_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-31000200-1385248293_thumb.jpg

If the first strip was to follow it´s natural curve a stealer would have to be fitted below the gunport pattern, I decided against that as I did not want to fiddle with the curv of the pattern, a bit of force was therefore nessecary to fit the first plank, I did not get a perfect fit so a bit of sanding and filling will be nessecary here.

I fitted a stealer between the first and the second strip instead.

post-138-0-03378200-1385248561_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-21546000-1385248566_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-95737600-1385248571_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-52565400-1385248579_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-04570800-1385248590_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-70256300-1385248596_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-59346600-1385248604_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-96171300-1385248609_thumb.jpg

To make tapering easier I simply clamp a steel ruler against the strip and cut the taper with a knife. The instructions tells you to use many strokes and not to cut through the strip in one go. This is very good advice.

post-138-0-31165000-1385248825_thumb.jpg

So far five strakes in place, the wood is quite soft and easily bent. Sanding is also pretty easy, having the boxwood of my Kingfisher kit in mind this is like cutting through butter. Sanding the gunport patterns that are made of plywood now thats another story..... Lets all give thanks to the man/woman who invented the dremel tool. :piratetongueor4:

Regards

Erik

post-138-0-04680300-1385249180_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-97116700-1385249184_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-24989900-1385249190_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-50280100-1385249195_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-33792400-1385249201_thumb.jpg

Erik

Well yes your daughter in a box sure does put a scale on things!! having watched you build your previous fleet Bella and i will be following from the Caribbean this winter We got a new carbon fiber mast for the yacht last spring so now back at work on the yacht and not in my basement with all my other shipwrights 

Best Andy and Bella

Molly does not fit in the box anymore :10_1_10: , they do grow. I wish I could spend my winters in the Caribbean, theres like 14 celcisus below zerow and snow on the ground around here. brr

Regards

Erik

good to see your progress......depending on how the planking starts...it can be quite enjoyable.   such a nice fit of the gun port panels.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

Erik: I'm finally getting back to a 'normal routine' and checking everyone's logs. Your work is looking awesome! I tried to figure out how to use the dividers to figure out the planking but am not nearly as talented as you! One thing I have discovered in this build is that the whole hull is covered with paint and/or copper. I was extra careful on the parts above the waterline but below in the 'copper zone' I figured it didn't matter too much as the copper covers any minor defects etc. Just a thought for you.

Oh Erik, it took me forever to get the copper tiles done. Just a warning. LOL....

I am looking forward to the rest of your build. Did you check out Pompei (Nick)'s build? You two seem to be at the same high level of expertise and precision. Have fun!

Rob

Rob in Calgary

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rob  You are right about the hull beeing covered with paint filler and coppar plates however I Always strive to do the planking at the best of my abilities. Practice makes perfect.

Regards

Erik

• 1 month later...

Erik

Just a quick comment re lights. I was really worried that the lights I put on the middle gun deck would be way too bright. To my relief last week I remounted the dummy cannons (just for fun). As I've got the upper gun deck sealed and built the grates etc. on the deck it turns out the lights are not too bright at all. Am sure you will experience the same. I put really bright white LEDs in the middle gun deck. The lower gun deck has flickering LEDs on mine. You are right, can't get an image that does it justice. As said, am sure yours will be just fine too. The cannon blocks a lot of light and with the background we've created for the gun bays it really does come out quite effective. Enjoy! Your build is coming along beautifully. At your rate you will be past me soon! LOL Wait, maybe you are past me!

Rob

Rob in Calgary

• 2 weeks later...

Rob

I doubt I will pass you, not that it matters. I have been spending a lot of nights in hotelrooms this spring and cant really bring the Vic with me. Imagine the horror of checking her in as bagage at the Airport........

I have fitted LED:s to all of the gunports as I found the false gun arrangement with the pictures were blocking to much of the light, thanks for the advice.

I have not yet added lights for the upper decks. This will be done at a later stage.

I´m about to Close up the first planking which is a bit scary........ the last Point where one has access to the basic wiring. Kind of an "All IN" kind of thing and I´m not much of a pokerplayer.  

How did you go about getting the flickering light effect.? Are those flickering LED:S or did you make some cleaver Electronic solution?

Regards

Erik

Hello

First excuse my English, the spellcheck in my webbrowser is going nuts. Win 8.1 is really starting to annoy me, you will have to live with my misspellings :P 

A few Words on planking this kit. The gunpatterns although practical when it comes to lining up the gunport, which effectly does it self. They do through the first planking a bit of and makes for a tricky start.

I ended up with planks at a very steep angle upwards at the bow. As can be seen in the first Picture. The second planking will follow a more horizontal line and this will be less of a problem.

There are a few planks on the stern which have a rather steep curve to them, a lot of filling and sanding will be required here to achieve an even shape to both sides of the stern. 

This resulted that my idea of following the rules of planking to make it as realistic as possible failed. Then again as the first planking is going to be covered with filler, sanded down and fitted with a second planking which then will be filled and sanded down and finally painted and coppar plated.. One will have to go to extreme messures to get to see where I cut some corners. :rolleyes:

Another thing on this topic is that kits often come with 5-6mm wide strips which does not suffice enough material to cut the strips to size for a perfect fit. Especially the garboard strake down next to the keel is hard to shape with such strips. One could opt for using home cut Wood but I did´nt want to use those preacious peaces for a hull that will be covered up. 

post-138-0-41052900-1398090180_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-58510500-1398091215_thumb.jpg

looking very nice Erik.....shaping up quite well. doesn't look like sanding will be that hard to do ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

After breaking pretty much every rule of planking known to man, the first planking is ready for some serious sanding.

Snow is gone so I can work outside which is nice. I´ll post some more Pictures when the hull is smooth.

Regards

Erik

post-138-0-34179400-1400410163_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-09337500-1400410171_thumb.jpg