HMS Victory by Erik Nyren - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - slightly bashed

first planking doesn't matter too much......I think it looks great!   she'll look much better when you get the hull sanded  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thats true popeye

Got some sanding done on her this weekend, a bit of filler on the bow as I felt the lower part of the bow was not bulky enough. First planking is smooth enough to recieve a second planking however first I have to assemble the galleries. The galleries are a part of this model that I have been looking forward to do so next weekend will be a lot of fun.

Erik

post-138-0-04658400-1401042928_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-50502000-1401042936_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-12155000-1401042948_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-77501600-1401042955_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-24296300-1401042964_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-90678800-1401042971_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-98275800-1401042978_thumb.jpg

I got a Little ahead of myself and did some dry fitting of the gallery parts.

Any advice on this assembly is greatly appriciated.

Regards

Erik

post-138-0-94077000-1401043209_thumb.jpg

the lower right is going to be a problem,  I see............hope you have the broken part.   I wouldn't think it possible to fit the piece on after the stern fascia is in place {this would make it easier}.   are you going to scratch out a new fascia to replace it? 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Erik

Been catching up on your log. It's all looking real good.

I remember the feeling once the sanding was done, a relief that it ended up a nice clean shape.

The only thing I remember about the galleries etc was to keep repeating the dry fitting, it is a very tricky area.

I found it very hard to get any effective clamping across the bottom of the rear pattern (pulling it into the ship).

If I did it again I would make up some sort of bracing which I could use to exert a force from.

Hope that helps, enjoy

Nick

Popeye: A Classic for this kit is to break exactly that corner off. I´m thinking about how to solve the problem, It seems the piece broke of in the box while handling other sheets. Gone forever I´m afraid. Making a whole new fascia will probably create more problems further down the line so I´m considering recreating the piece missing or make a sort of plug or jig based on the other side when assembled to achieve the correct angles. I need to Think about this while doing some more dry fitting and planning for the assembly. No glue until I know what to do :piratetongueor4: I will also add LED lights to the side of the galleries so this will be tricky but a lot of fun.

The challange to this "upsie" I think is to figure out the details around the broken part in order to come up with the best solution.

Regards

Erik

Greetings Erik

Looks like everything is coming along fine, and join the club with the stern facia. I reckon we have all damaged it. It's no problem as you will be fitting the second skin over it later in the build and all is hidden. Keep enjoying it DAVID

Hello Eric, Grats for your build so far it Looks Great, As for the broken gallery, Contract Jotika, I guess they may send you a replacement as for how to get around it, I not that far I think Its covered with a second layer later in the build, 

Ps I noticed you have planked the Hull all the way to the end ( by the rudder),,? I was under the impression the you should have ended about 10mm ish, from the End and the keel, (plan Sheet 2) Bearding Line?  

I may be wrong.

Ill Keep an eye out for how you get on with this and the build,

TC

Edited by Rich.f

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Thanks all

The problem with the broken piece is not so much the angel along the ship, that will be sorted by the slots. The problem lies in getting the correct angle vertically as that angel is guided by the slot in the stern fascia which of cource I broke of. I´ll work it out no doubt.

I´m sure JoTika would promptly send a replacement but I simply do not have the patience and it´s a minor problem easily fixed.

Rich, my enterpetation of the drawing was to plank the whole stern, then draw the bearding line and sand the whole thing down to 3mm while securing a smooth run for the second planking towards the sternpost. A too steep sanding angle would make it hard for the second planks to follow creating a "bump".

I think you will be ok if you have not planked all the way though as the planks are almost reduced to nothing at the edge in question.

I actually did a sloppy job on the first sanding down of the false keel, resulting in a slightly ofset stern, this could be corrected when I sanded down the second planking as one side was sanded down a bit more to compensate for the problem.

Regards

Erik  

Edited by Erik Nyren

I don't worry about problems with broken part either..........I either fab out another part,  or change it around during the fitting and correct it then.........I saw the counter......I figure you have a plan for it  ;)     you've done such a good job sanding the hull to shape.....bevel the lead plank going there,  and it should butt right up with no problem.    super job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Jigsawpussle of the day

I used parts of the assembly to ensure that the stern fascia was pinned down centered and at the correct hight.

The rest of the pictures is dryfitting no glue so far. I looks ok and the window fascias seems to fit good enough although some tapering will be nessecary.

Of to the other side

Erik

post-138-0-89396400-1401367569_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-11079500-1401367742_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-01621200-1401367752_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-60538700-1401367764_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-48981400-1401367774_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-34327900-1401367782_thumb.jpg

looking good so far ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

A lot of dryfitting, small adjustments more dryfitting some paint adding some more LED to get a more even illumination of the stern fascia. Oh nad a little more dryfitting of cource and finally I have one side of the galleries almost finished.

post-138-0-66161600-1402151316_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-95132300-1402151328_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-99262100-1402151343_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-84100800-1402151354_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-13167900-1402151362_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-18230600-1402151379_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-40858200-1402151406_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-85076400-1402151419_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-02725300-1402151489_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-92105000-1402151520_thumb.jpg

very nice work with the lighting.......your doing a super job!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks

Rich I had a look at your log. your doing great, If your actually considering LEDs I´m afraid you are a bit far gone so I would advice against it.

It takes a bit of adjustments to accomodate the wiring and if that meens you have to rip things like the galleries up. Don´t go there, and save the idea for your next project. This is my first time using LED although I did som experiments on a Billing Vasa that rests in my shop. It takes a bit of planning ahead but it´s not that hard if one has some soldering skills.

Off to the other side of the galleries

Regards

Erik

HI Erik, Hope all is well with you?

Yes I guess your right, I had spent time before starting this kit, Although I'm an electrician, I did not know were to start, although the idea of Fibre optic was there I have some (two) Led lights that flicker,  My Next kit may be the HMS Warrior, So the idea may just have to wait for that,  

I hope the ship is coming along, Look forward to an update.

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

• 3 weeks later...

I have posted a decription of how I use my proportional dividers during planking of HMS Victory. As I figured more builders than HMS Victory folks could be interrested I posted in the "Building, framing, planking" section of the "Ship modeling tips, techniques and research" section of the forums.

I would put a link in but I cant get it to work :angry:

Regards

Erik

post-138-0-55123300-1403988464_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-22024900-1403988474_thumb.jpg

very nice Erik........the first planking came out really smooth! your going to be able to do a great second planking!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

just caught up with your log, i do see you quite often on Facebook

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 1 year later...

I have recently started the Corel HMS Victory build and have found your photos very helpful. Thank you for sharing. I am now starting to install the 2nd layer (walnut) of planking. Unfortunately, due to the wale planks' thickness each plank is breaking right at the curvature (close to a right angle!) at the stern. So far, I'm getting the bow planks bent OK. I've tried overnight water soaks, boiling in a water pot, and, of course, the obligatory plank bending tool (modified soldering iron). All to no avail: I have broken each plank. Do you have any heplful advice before I break every walnut plank that I have?

Thanks,

Bob