HMS Victory by robert22564 - Caldercraft - scale 1:72

Very nice work with the copper Robert !

I have also put copper plates on the rudder but not place the rudder.

I'm afraid that I hit it of all the time......

Sjors

Thanks Sjors, I'm starting to ponder now whether to copper leaf or not, something in side of me is saying leave it alone and let it tarnish naturally. :rolleyes:

You can see in one of the pictures the original pyramid from where I started has already tarnished beautifully. :)

Greetings Robert

Well that's got the tiles sorted, and all looks really good. I followed a few of the others and polished the tiles with brasso, then added two coats of varnish. But a couple of years on the shine has totally dulled off, and to be honest I think it looks a lot better dull. Well done Robert, keep enjoying it...DAVID

A quick update:

I've made a temporary base to sit the ship on, I need to protect the copper plates from being caught while they naturally tarnish.

post-17761-0-54047000-1429965688_thumb.jpg

The first coat of yellow ochre has been applied to the inner bulwarks and the deck has now been varnished with a matt coat.

post-17761-0-98059000-1429965899_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-47619000-1429965923_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-93965300-1429965947_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-90849000-1429966305_thumb.jpg

Now will be a couple of weeks of cleaning her up repainting areas that got disturbed a repainting some of the gunport linings, after that it'll be all hands on deck working on the cannons.

The grating assemblies are only dry fitted at this stage.

Edited by robert22564

Greetings Robert

It's looking really good. Yep excellent progress and you are certainly moving along. Good luck withe cannons, and keep up the good work and enjoy it. Keep an eye on those cannon balls.. DAVID

Took your advice David and gave them 2 coats of matt varnish :D  they're not going anywhere ;)

Edited by robert22564

Need a little advice please.

As you all know I've been playing with these cannons, the manual says use part (480) but these seem tiny, what's been your experience with rigging them?

I noticed in Gils log he's used the eyelets supplied in the packet which are bigger.

I do not like part (501) so I'll be ordering the Mantua ones from CMB.

post-17761-0-77048700-1430054865_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-47282200-1430054867_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-73436400-1430054868_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-82195600-1430054869_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-83533300-1430054870_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-56635400-1430054872_thumb.jpg

Hello Robert

I think I did mention the cannon rigging earlier in a PM, but not sure as I have cleared my messages. You can paint the eyelets and feed them In sequence onto the rigging thread and also include part c83506 on the thread for the breaching ring. ( I think that's what they call it) it's a simple process as all you need to do is pre drill the holes for small eyelet to fit in the side of the carriage, and then locate the eyelets already threaded into the hole with a dot of ca at the hole. It makes it simple. I know you don't want to use those eyelet, But there is no prob with them when they are threaded. You could thread a few up and see how it would work out. Harden the end of the thread with ca and snip it an angle to make the threading easy. Anyway good luck with the rigging. DAVID

Edited by Shipyard sid

I used the model supplied eyelets for the bulwark eyelets, the cannon decorative eyelets and fixing rigging blocks to the deck. I used a larger eyelet CMB 83506 for the breaching ring cae'd to each rigged cannon. I then used a some left over eyelets similar to the CMB 83500 for the larger eyelets on each side of the cannon where the breaching thread feeds through. I only did this on the quarter deck cannons. For the upper gun deck I simply used the kit supplied eyelets for the cannon assembly and 83506 for the breach ring

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Hello Robert

I think I did mention the cannon rigging earlier in a PM, but not sure as I have cleared my messages. You can paint the eyelets and feed them In sequence onto the rigging thread and also include part c83506 on the thread for the breaching ring. ( I think that's what they call it) it's a simple process as all you need to do is pre drill the holes for small eyelet to fit in the side of the carriage, and then locate the eyelets already threaded into the hole with a dot of ca at the hole. It makes it simple. I know you don't want to use those eyelet, But there is no prob with them when they are threaded. You could thread a few up and see how it would work out. Harden the end of the thread with ca and snip it an angle to make the threading easy. Anyway good luck with the rigging. DAVID

Yes you did send me a PM David, I'm just getting a little confused with these "C" Numbers which I now believe is an aftermarket part from Cornwall Model Boats......Correct?

And it seems the way you've done them makes sense too, I'll do mine the same way :) thanks David.

Edited by robert22564

I used the model supplied eyelets for the bulwark eyelets, the cannon decorative eyelets and fixing rigging blocks to the deck. I used a larger eyelet CMB 83506 for the breaching ring cae'd to each rigged cannon. I then used a some left over eyelets similar to the CMB 83500 for the larger eyelets on each side of the cannon where the breaching thread feeds through. I only did this on the quarter deck cannons. For the upper gun deck I simply used the kit supplied eyelets for the cannon assembly and 83506 for the breach ring

Thanks Glenn, I'm looking at alternatives now ;)

Greetings Robert

The eyelets are CMB83506 for the breaching rings as Glenn mentioned. And you will be ok with the small ones that you don't like for around the carriage, as once they are fed onto the thread they are very easy to fit. I would order 3 packs of CMB83506 if you decide to use use them, as you will prob use them as an alternative for staunchings later. Have a look at the rail around the waist on my ship or the stair ways, and you will see what I mean. Regards DAVID

post-96-0-02594800-1430134915_thumb.jpg

Greetings Robert

The eyelets are CMB83506 for the breaching rings as Glenn mentioned. And you will be ok with the small ones that you don't like for around the carriage, as once they are fed onto the thread they are very easy to fit. I would order 3 packs of CMB83506 if you decide to use use them, as you will prob use them as an alternative for staunchings later. Have a look at the rail around the waist on my ship or the stair ways, and you will see what I mean. Regards DAVID

Your a diamond David, Thank you :)

I've decided on a way forward with my Cannons, this is the template:

I'm using the rings from part no.42844 as the breach ring.

post-17761-0-57322700-1430519125_thumb.jpg

I'm also using the part no.36750 as the bridge.

post-17761-0-08435900-1430519201_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-12977900-1430519208_thumb.jpg

I've used cocktail sticks to make false axles just to raise the cannons a couple of millimeters. In my opinion it brings them into a better prospective and I was looking for the extra height.

post-17761-0-64047800-1430519257_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-78469200-1430519454_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-77113000-1430519478_thumb.jpg

post-17761-0-49403200-1430519495_thumb.jpg

Edited by robert22564

Hello Robert

Still buzzing along merrily well done. How many cannons are you rigging ???? Or have I missed that???? I think Sjors is colour blind, and I also think he is a bus driver. Wouldn't trust him at traffic lights. DAVID

Hello David, I've decided to rig 12 Cannons, the ones shown are not yet complete and are just put there for the picture. :D

Hello Robert

Still buzzing along merrily well done. How many cannons are you rigging ???? Or have I missed that???? I think Sjors is colour blind, and I also think he is a bus driver. Wouldn't trust him at traffic lights. DAVID

David,

I'm sorry to tell you but I'm not color blind !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I was so then I was not driving a bus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you look at the pictures, it looks if they are not painted.

When Robert told me so I have take another look and when I magnify the picture, I could see it !

Not before.

Robert,

Show me the progress at the rigged cannons...

Sjors

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Robert, I just found this great building thread of the Victory. I was wondering wich technique you use for getting the black lines between the deck planking. Do you just colour the edges of the planks with permanent black pen?

I just got a caldercraft Victory partially built, exactly at the sale stage as yours. Not sure though if I will continue building it now or later as I do have some other projects.

I really like your building thread.

Best regards

Michel.