Jump to content

Vtwoods1027

Members
  • Content Count

    12
  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

Recent Profile Visitors

285 profile views
  1. I think I made some progress!!! The hull structure is in a pretty good shape and I think I can actually move on. I faired the deck surface and then moved on to the bulkhead. There was a LOT OF GAP between the bottom of the bulkhead and the rabbit line. I added some filler wood and sanded them down using little dowels with sandpaper glued to them. They look pretty good now. Also, I carved (actually sanded) the filler block into position on the stern of the ship. As I stated before, the plans and parts don't quite match up, but a little extra work makes everything smooth. Hope y
  2. Hi there everybody, Kind of a shotgun approach to the update today... I have been working on two different aspects in parallel, this ships boat and fairing the hull. I used the plans to make hull aspect guides... Applied to the sides of the ships boat, I did a lot of sanding and got the outside of the hull in pretty good shape. The inside needs more work but some wood filler and lots of sanding/patience should get it in decent shape. That's next weeks work. Traced out the transom filler blocks and installed them. Please note that I am receiving help from the next g
  3. A more light hearted post... first of all thanks to Karl for the links. I am working on the boat a bit now... I'll post more a bit later. But in the meantime. Its Saturday morning, wife asleep (she is a night NICU nurse), toddler occupied with siblings and I have a few hours of boat building. I am working on frames to shape the hull of the ships boat, watching a documentary on early jet development and generally really enjoying model shipwrighting. Such a great hobby that lets you be creative, work with your hands and still be pretty technical. Enjoy your day all... oh yeah... I am also cookin
  4. Hello all - Just a quick update. I spent the weekend re-enforcing the false keel and bulkheads with some scrap that I had from the last model. Probably overkill, but I was concerned that the bulkheads seemed to move quite a bit when I was sanding the edges to get the taper edges more symmetric. I will generate a lot of saw dust in the next week, but the center keel/bulkheads are 'iron-tight' now. Oh yeah, please note that I have to do all this in the kitchen so my little klein tool bags are my life line to being organized (I love tools).
  5. Lots of fun on the 3 day weekend! The first job was to place (again) the reference line on the bulkheads. This is tricky because I want them to be symmetric on both sides of the bulkhead. Making a measurement on one side and then flipping the bulkhead over to repeat the measurement is asking for some sort of systematic error. So, I used the machinist parralel blocks and plates on scanned plans to create a frame to make the marks. Also, I got the building board started (and finished). I was super happy to find some machinist parrallels in 3/16" thickness. They were reall
  6. Hi there Everybody. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I appreciate it. My family is lovely and can feign a certain amount of excitement, but its so good to hear from fellow enthusiasts. Here is the latest update. I have completed the tapering of the keel!. It was a little tricky and I am pretty proud of how I got it accomplished. The plans show the tapering of the keel, so I made a rough sketch in my build log. I glued together 1/64" thick engine valve lifter shims, which I could then use to mark both sides of the keel to define the profile of the taper. At several points, I m
  7. Greetings to all fellow model shipwrights. I am working on Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore II. I have done a few previous kits from Dumas and MidWest, with some rather nice results and have decided to make this a lifetime hobby. I'm throwing this build log up to get some help as I go along and provide some inspiration to others starting out. I am thinking that I am a younger member here (43) and love that this hobby is still going on. A little about me, so that all other readers can get where I am coming from. I am a nuclear physicist. I grew up on the chesapeake bay and my father had a Morg
  8. I took the deck and made a false deck mold.... added on top 3/32" by 1/16" planks... doing a four offset butt setting. It's getting there... I will mix up flat white paint and thinner to simulate a newly holystoned deck. Sorry about the delay in updates. My wife and I are expecting our first child (together) in a few weeks and she has a large "honey do" list.
  9. Been a little delayed, but very excited that I have gotten my little work shop mostly completed. Great things to come... but not in a very fast manner! Thanks all! More tomorrow.
  10. Just started my first square rigger kit. Very excited about the information on this site. Thanks ahead for all the advice. Here is the frame. Painted white for light and added a stained lower deck. More to post tomorrow after I get working on the captains quarters,
  11. Thanks so much for the info! I'm building the same model, and you are saving me from missing good steps (I'll make a cabin interior too!). It's looking great!
×
×
  • Create New...