FD 10 Yawl Arnanes by Jason Builder - FINISHED - Billing Boats 701 - 1:50 scale

Fit in a good amount of rigging today on the holiday day off.   I'm done on it for the time being and will get back to work when the sails are ready to bend on.  The base is made from cherry, gloss urethane finish, with a brass plaque.

-Base model from Billing Boats

-Cleats, hooks, swiss-pear dead-eyes, blocks, and rope from Syren Model Ship Co.

-Various handy tools from Micro Mark

-Cast Britannia metal parts from Blue Jacket

-Much replacement of kit parts with shop-made wooden or metal parts

-Rigging improved via web research and books by Lennarth Petersson

First real wooden ship model for me, and it was very enjoyable and rewarding.  I'll provide an update when the sails are ready, but that may be a while.  

-Jason

post-18535-0-42413800-1448685921_thumb.jpg

these advanced beginner kits are nice.......I've built a few of them myself.   they present the same amount of challenge,  as far as I'm concerned,  and can be dressed up to one's liking.   very nice build........you've done some splendid work here.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Current resting place of the ship on the mantle.  I'll post updates early next year when the sails are done.

Snowing again this morning....enjoy winter everyone!

Jason

post-18535-0-24213700-1449065188_thumb.jpg

post-18535-0-16924800-1449065193_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

looks super on the mantle Jason  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I love your boats and all else on display. My husband is also building this model and now it is my task to sew the sails. The plan leaves a lot to be worked out without any really detailed instructions, do the sails have a single hem or double at the edges, and do the struts go inside the hems at the outer edges? I can fit the plan onto the fabric, as I am a sewer  and quilter , but anything else is not given anywhere. Any help or suggestion will be so appreciated. Greetings from Jean and Hugh McKinstry, New Zealand.

• 1 year later...

Fabulous build Jason. As a beginner I'm hugely impressed. I came looking at this because I bought this kit off of eBay last week, with a view to having a go once I've completed the Saucy Jack (my first build) which I'm working on now. I have no doubt that I'll be back again to look at your log once I eventually finish Saucy Jack. 
Max

Altogether elsewhere, vast herds of reindeer move across miles and miles of golden moss, silently and very fast.