Disney Motor Launch by Jason Builder - FINISHED - PLASTIC - 3D Printed

Ahoy Modelers!

It's been a couple years since I built a model boat or ship and I have never built a ship model from scratch and I feel that it is time for a new model ship project.  I always have to be building something, and in the two years away from model boat building, I have scratch built a full size functional alphorn, 2 Viking Lurs, a wooden paddleboard, and have been making homemade brooms.  In 2020 I assembled a Prusa i3 MK3S 3D printer and got Autodesk Fusion 360 CAD.  The kids and I have had a great time designing and printing objects both fun and practical on the printer since we got it.  Last week we took a family trip to Disney World in Florida, and I really liked the little "Motor Launches" that ply the waters of Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon ferrying people between the resorts and Magic Kingdom.  That is the boat that I have decided to build a model of, and I will document my attempt here.

I spoke to the captain of one of these boats, who advised that the boat is approximately 41.5 feet long with a draft of 3.5 feet and is based on a Morgan 41 sailboat hull.  Morgan built these in Clearwater FL, out of fiberglass with a modified keel and bowsprit.  The boat has a fixed shaft and prop and traditional rudder.  They were made in the style of a steam launch, but the stack is just for looks, these are not steam-powered vessels; they have a nice little motor in them, and the captains are very adept at docking them and casting off like pro's every time.

I will do my best to draw this boat in Fusion 360 and to print the parts on my Prusa i3 MK3S printer.  I do not have good experience with plastic models, but I plan to superglue the parts together and to enamel the model.  Here is the printer and a picture I took last week of the boat.

-Jason

IMG_6357.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

Hi!

I found a basic drawing of the Morgan 41 hull, and I used that along with photos of the launch to create a 3D hull drawing.  I graduated from Milwaukee School of Engineering in the '90s, but at the time 2D CAD was a very insignificant part of the engineering degree; I hadn't used CAD for 20 years and never used 3D CAD before, but I have really enjoyed learning Fusion 360 (I think it's been good for the brain), but I am no expert.  I am learning as I go. I was able to get a decent roughed out shape of the hull, but I will need to file and sand it to finished shape.  I will print this in PLA (Polylactide), and I am not sure if that  material is sand-able or file-able, we will find out.  If it is not, then I will need to go back to the drawing board and put more time into a perfect hull drawing.

I have also completed the model of basic deck.  I will print this in a very thin sheet and glue it onto the hull.  I drew the planks into the surface of the deck and hopefully the printer has good enough resolution to print the little grooves between the planks.  I plan to print the helm and the bollard posts right onto the deck when I print it.

-Jason

Hull and deck in design progress.png

Morgan 41.jpg

Edited by Jason Builder

Goede Dag!

Well I printed the hull overnight and it turned out OK.  I set the printer at .20 resolution with 10% infill and 6mm wall thickness, so the walls are pretty thick to allow for final sanding and shaping (which hopefully is possible with this material...)  I printed upside down and it took about 9.5 hours to print.  Much finer resolutions are possible, but would extend print time and I will be sanding this part anyway.  I use Prusaslicer for my slicer software and I printed this hull upside down with the automatically generated support material to fill the void between the print plate and the model.  Here are the photos of the printed hull and the support material that I removed with small pliers and snips.

I am not a 3D printing expert, but if anyone is interested in a veeerrryyy basic intro to 3D printing, I typed up a page on how I got started, here :  https://www.argobuilder.com/3d-print-workshop.html

-Jason

IMG_6529.JPG

IMG_6530.JPG

IMG_6532.JPG

IMG_6527.JPG

IMG_6528.JPG

Bonjour,

Yesterday I kept on drafting away on CAD.  I printed the stand for the model so that I had somewhere to set the hull.  Good news, my sharp file worked very well to put the finish shape to the hull in the spots I couldn't get just right on CAD.  I still think a high speed sanding or grinding device would just melt the plastic rather than removing material, but so far so good using handwork for filing/sanding.   I have enough pieces designed that I will be able to keep the printer busy while I continue to draw.  The keel-holders on my model stand were printed with 50% infill and are quite sturdy.  The base was printed with 10% infill (in-progress photo below).  I am using up filament so the parts will be printed in somewhat random colors, but will be painted later.

Have a great day,

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6556.JPG

Disney Motor Launch v36.jpg

Motor Launch Base.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Not much work on the model this week but was able to get the deck printed, I designed it to be thin and it is very flexible to flex along the required curvature.   Planking printed right onto the deck along with the helm stand and the cross-bollard posts.   I am also pleased with the resolution of printing at the .05mm layer thickness with the very small parts.  I'll post a picture of the rendered parts; all I have left to design is the prop , awning/roof trim, and the railing.

Cheers!

-Jason

Deck.JPG

Small Parts.JPG

Edited by Jason Builder

Hallo allir!

Well the design work is done in CAD and now I need to keep printing away.  I am going to print all the parts (and check fit as I go) before I begin final assembly.  I have designed the model with 62 separate printed parts + 5 metal eyelets + 2 fabric flags + standing rigging.  The fire extinguisher canister/handle and bracket are pretty small, but I am pleased with the as-printed parts.......the parts will be sanded/assembled/painted (not always in that order).

-Jason

DML 2.JPG

DML 1.JPG

Disney Motor Launch v69.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Сайн уу,

Mongolian spelling of "hello" there.   Visited there multiple times for fun and work and it's a great place.

So now I have printed all the part for the model.   After working through the best print orientations for the parts, I wound up splitting the railings into multiple parts, so the model has 69 printed parts shown here, (edit: plus the 6 life vest hatches shown in the post further below) for a total of 75 printed parts, which I will now sand/paint/assemble.

-Jason

Complete Parts Photo.jpg

Edited by Jason Builder

Merhaba, Model Boat Builders!

Tonight I got around to some sanding and painting.  Also, during design, I noticed that I had a square stern, but the boat should have a rounded stern.  I had already printed my hull, so I printed a stern filler piece to round out the stern.  I designed the roof as a laminated structure with a thin smooth sheet laminated on top of the thicker curved roof piece, saved me some sanding time.

White Paint.jpg

Roof Lamination.jpg

Gold Paint.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Painting, sanding, painting.....

I also saw that there are life vest hatches that I had missed in my design so I designed/printed those and then printed the text on my paper printer and glued the text to the hatches.

-Jason

Small Parts 2.jpg

Masking and painting.jpg

masking and painting 2.jpg

life vest hatch 3.jpg

life vest hatch 1.jpg

IMG_6369.JPG

Guten Abend,

So today with painting wrapping up, I got to assembly.  Glued the life vest hatches onto the engine house sides, glued the deck on and the fore-hatch, and the fire extinguisher, ships wheel, coaming cap, railings, benches, and I set the roof poles in place.

Have a great day!

Jason

Launch with roof.jpg

Roof poles 2.jpg

Chairs.jpg

Railings.jpg

Engine house installed.jpg

helm.jpg

Edited by Jason Builder

hi Everyone,

Assembly is going well so far.   I glued the awning around the roof and glued the roof to the roof poles.  Installed the navigation lights and the spot light.  Then glued on the rub rail.  I changed the color of the base-plate to black, as it looked like too much brown earlier.  I also installed the flag poles and life ring.

Awning.jpg

Nav lights.jpg

Rub rail.jpg

What a fun little project this has been.  My first plastic model and first scratch built model.  To finish off the model, I added steel rod braces fore and at between the roof and deck to match the actual boat.  I then attached the mast and standing rigging.

Happy modelling to you all!  

-Jason

Disney Launch 3.jpg

boat 1.jpg

Edited by Jason Builder

What a neat looking boat, Jason.   Very well done.    

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations!  Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 1 year later...

Hey there!

Awesome, Awesome model. I drove these boats for two years and adored them greatly (even though they can be a massive pain to drive).

The details are freaking amazing, so many little tiny details that register to my eye as something you would only see if you really studied the reference, or if you spent way too much time on them like I did.

I’d love to own a model of one of them (Idealy my beloved Explorer) one of these days. Hopefully either I will get into the 3D print world or the company will finally produce a die cast or two.

• 1 month later...

Nicely done - such a cute little boat.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Hi Murray and Keith,   thanks for your nice comments!

Murray, if you captained one of these, hats of to ye!  I've always been impressed by the consistency and skill of the captains of these little motor launches at Disney.

Peace!

Jason