USS Constitution by CPS_skybolt - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - scale 1:96 - As she appeared 1812 - 1815

Always been curious about the Billings version of the Connie. I expect to start my MS version, sometime late this fall.  I'll be following along with interest.

Cheers 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks billt. I have researched the stern during this period and never came up with an answer I was happy with. So this is what I did with the stern.

I sprayed decal paper black and covered it with a clear. Then I cut strips of this and applied them to the quarter gallery. I can't paint small stripes so I use decal paper. The canons do not have holes in the barrel and to try to drill holes in the barrels is beyond my skill and equipment . For the canons I painted decal paper grey and punched out the small disks using a bit and a drill index. Does not look like I would like it to but this is the best I could do.

post-15433-0-77494000-1429711151_thumb.jpg

post-15433-0-33878200-1432277742_thumb.jpg

Edited by CPS_skybolt

Stern looks good too.   Isn't that the suggested stern by Blue Jacket?    I know they based the model on a lot of work by Arnot so it is probably pretty close to what you want.

My kit is the 1970's version that I hope to update to something close to the modern version like yours.  This will mean carving or routing out  space for the gun deck. Since on that version the gun deck guns were simply pins you pushed into the hull.  I'd prefer a built out deck like the new kit.

Not really. The photos in the instruction book are dark, poor quality. I could not figure out what to do with the lower stool of the quarter gallery as they just didn't fit so I curved them under until they were flush with  the counter. Not real happy with them that way. I studied many pictures but could not come up with an answer I was satisfied with. Also, the 1812 stern view shows two windows below the transom on the counter. I will need to form them yet. I tired of the stern problems so I moved on. I wanted to work  on other parts of the model. I'll go back to the stern later on .

Edited by CPS_skybolt

I agree. The pictures in the Bluejacket build manual are horrible. Did you completely remove the quarter gallery extensions and completely rebuild it or did you follow the build manuals instructions?

Keep up the great work,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

I shaved the wood quarter galleries from the wood hull.  It was no help to me. The cast quarter gallery lower stool threw me for quite awhile. After much study I decided the counter was concave and not convex to fit the stool. I then glued the quarter gallery assembly to the hull and bent the stool under to fit as flush as I could to the counter.

BlueJacket says a guy who has built this model for them many times takes calls about this kit .His name is Charlie Cook at 800 336 2795 9-4 Mon thru Friday. I tried to reach him a couple times but never got a phone answer. I am going to try again as I have a part that looks like a grease gun ( a lot of them ) and have no Idea where they go. Think they are hand pumps.

I figured out what the grease guns are, the swivel guns for the fighting tops, LOL.

NOTE July 2018 :  I just found this reference photo of the stool, see below. I do not know if this for the time period of this model. I believe the stern was rebuilt differently several times. 

Bob

post-15433-0-49984800-1429915787_thumb.jpg

post-15433-0-20847800-1430276193_thumb.jpg

10-IMG_6183-1024x736.jpg

Edited by CPS_skybolt
new reference picture

• 7 months later...

Finished. The ship looks better to me as time passes. I no longer see my mistakes. If I were to build it again I would have done a better job. That is not going to happen. It makes a beautiful model . I used a BlueJacket display case .I glassed it with acrylic sheets. It looks good, not intrusive and it was not that expensive.

post-15433-0-69762000-1449651314_thumb.jpg

Edited by CPS_skybolt

very nice. you should be very proud.

mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

congratulations, awesome build

• 2 weeks later...