Thermopylae by philo426 - Revell - PLASTIC

I saw this on the right hand side of the forum page.......and I just HAD to see!    freak'in awesome mate!  this isn't the kit that has the hull painted already.....they did the same thing with the Cutty.......called the museum series kit.  very nicely done.....but you may want to wait with the sails,  till you have all the standing rigging done......it will just make it harder for you.  this kit is getting to be quite rare....when did you get it and where? 

I agree with the artistic license thing....do it your way.  this particular series of Revell kits......have their own inaccuracies built -in.  the modeler can change them or build the kit the way it is.......still yields a very nice model.   keep going......I'd love to follow along  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi

Just saw your post and checked it out. I agree with everyone else: build for your own pleasure. I completed this very model a few years ago and it impresses all of my family and everyone else who sees it. I improved the accuracy everywhere I could and honed my modelling skills. I learned a lot and solved problems to my own satisfaction. So.... enjoy. 

thanks for the post!

if you have any sag in the bow standing rigging.......doing the standing rigging for the main mast should tighten the bow up.   making some nice progress,  and moving at a decent pace ;)    very nice  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Philo,

Regarding the colouring for the Thermopylae, this is historically correct. Built by Hood of Aberdeen in 1868, she certainly had a green hull as did all of their ships, and as painted by many artists. You might be interested in the following, especially the third paragraph:

http://www.aberdeenships.com/single.asp?index=99403

You are making a fine job of her, but I would agree with Popeye, that it is probably best to finish off the masting and rigging, before continuing with the sails. In passing, have you ever thought of ditching the plastic sails for a thin material such as silkspan?

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Thanks!guys!It is coming along nicely and I ran another line and added a 5th jib.Looks much better now!i assembled and installed the main mast and tied up the main mast rat lines.The sails are all laced to the yards and are installed on the masts.I can run the standing rigging ok just have to be careful.The running rigging may be a challenge but the ship is large enough that enough space exists to do ok.Thanks for the compliments!

I built my Cutty {the second one} before I got into wooden ships.  if I knew then what I know now,  I might not have used the plastic ones.  I still have the United States.......perhaps I can find redemption.  

your doing alright......there should be four jib sails though...perhaps a spacing issue?   well....no matter!  ;)   you build her as you see her..well, blows me down!   maybe that's how she beat the Cutty........snuck a jib on her when she wasn't looking  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

now....your getting somewhere!    nice!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looks really sweet Phil!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Magnificent.  Just be careful when you start your rigging.  The spars are plastic nd will bend if to much pressure is used. And keep it out of direct sunlight and heat.

David B

Edited by dgbot