ethanb Posted April 10, 2015 Share #1 Posted April 10, 2015 I've been trolling ship-building sites for years, checking out all of your amazing work in wood and plastic and finally decided to break the seal and get to building one of my own! I am a big fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean series and as far as licensed copies go, the Zvezda "Black Swan" is the closest representation of the Black Pearl and from reviews I have read; it is a really well put together kit. I have tons of modeling and painting experience but this will be the first ship I have ever built so I am excited to put my skills to the task! I received the package in the mail early this week and after gathering resources I was finally able to start the build last night. First note is this will be modified as much as I can to match the movie version and hopefully from your wonderful advice I can make it more accurate as a ship as well. I saw a couple diagrams of modifications that need to be done so I will just start at the beginning with a brief overview and then move right to the build. Mainly with the kit we are talking plastic. So the sails are injection molded, beautiful but horribly out of scale; so those will have to go. I need advice on how to create a proper sail plan and I have decided to use super thin vellum to make my sails. Next, the rigging and blocks are mostly plastic with few exceptions so I really want to make these from wood parts and thread. What size blocks do I need for 1/75 scale? 2mm, 3mm? Then I need to figure out how many! I am new to the ship field so terminology and numbers I will learn on the way. Finally the cannon will be upgraded and some actual kit parts will be changed and modified. So on to the first step: The major discrepancy of this kit is the rear cabin area. The stairs and the actual cabin wall are nothing like the movie so I tackled the wall first. I am a 3D artist as far as career goes so I took a picture of the original part and measured it out with calipers, transfered the image to my 3d modeling program and rebuilt the wall. Then using my 3d printer I made a prototype the part and if fit on the first go around! Last night the print had cured well enough to assemble the basic decks as you will see in the images below. The original piece My first prototype to test the size the final product the 3d file my 3d printer I am a little out of order so here are some quick shots of the kits parts! Back to the build Installed the decks a shot of the scratch built piece on deck My first attempt at adding a base color. Now here I already made a mistake! I want to build up the layers of paint and stain to match the ship seen below So I wanted raw wood with black inked outlines to get the grooves to pop but I forgot to thin the ink! Oops. So now its a greyish aged looking think. I will be fixing that. so this weekend I plan on getting a proper base color and adding any more additional decks required before doing some pre-painting while I wait for cannons to arrive! mtaylor, tarbrush, docidle and 6 others 9 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.