New to all this

ETNZ

Hi all, I'm new to this having been involved with the sea and a lifetime's love of it, I find myself beached but dreaming. I am looking to buy a wooden ship model, something I have yearned to do for years. I have made plenty of models and even small wooden craft before. I know many will think that I am biting off more than I can chew and running before I can walk but I really want to tackle HMS Victory. There is a family connection, I love the ship and have the time to spend on it. I am patient and meticulous in what I do. I am looking at a Billings kit but have heard that the directions are minimal which makes me hesitant. does anyone have any ideas as to which kit I should look at? Thanks in advance.

Wellcome to this wonderfull place, and wish you happy modelling hours. On search box you can type victory, and you'll see very different sources for his ship. Personaly I can not help you, but I am sure you will find all answers you need here on MSW

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Nenad gave you some solid advice... Go to the kit builds area and enter "victory" into the search box.  You'll see all the Victory builds. 

Or....  hang on for a bit, do something else... Amati/Victory models is bringing out their Victory.   If you're interested in 1:64 size Vic, goto this topic http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/985-amati-and-chris-watton/  and search on Victory.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

my advice..........just go for it........and refer back here. My second build which you can view in the gallery of completed ships was corels victory.....loads of errors on it but a rather nice model once completed.

Edited by harlequin

Thank you all. I chickened out and went for the Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon. I figured a larger scale would be an easier starting point, plus it was reduced in price. Nelson's favourite ship is no come down in my estimation. I look forward to starting a log once I receive it.