Just curious, does anyone make dado blades for the Byrnes table saw??

I don't think there is a 3" or 4"  dado blade out there Tom, but Thurston Mfg. might be a place to check for that or even blades with a thicker kerf, for cutting slots.  http://thurstonmfg.com/

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I remember that some time ago Micro-Mark was selling special dado washers for their Microlux saws. They looked like regular steel washers, except they were tapered on one edge so the blade mounted between them was spinning cockeyed and thus cutting a dado groove. I never used them, so I cannot voach for them. Also I am not sure if they still sell them.

It would perhaps be worthwhile to try and see if they would fit into the Byrnes saw.

You can "stack" slitting blades to come up with the exact saw kerf you want for model work.  Thurston sells all sorts of blade widths, just have enough so you can stack the necessary blades to get a kerf equal to the dado you want to cut.  For our work the saw has plenty of power to do shallow dados.  You would want the wider blades on the outside with the thinner blades sandwiched in between so no worry of the thin blades deflecting or heating up and warping as they are prone to do.  Any dado being cut in our model work is not going to be all that wide or deep.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Not a good design idea, since that, essentially, would be a self-inflicted vibration caused by the off-set of the blade. It would eventually tear the bearings and bushings in the motor up. 

P.S. Kurt has a better idea with the stacking of the blades, Provided the arbor's deep enough to handle stacks.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I remember that some time ago Micro-Mark was selling special dado washers for their Microlux saws. They looked like regular steel washers, except they were tapered on one edge so the blade mounted between them was spinning cockeyed and thus cutting a dado groove. I never used them, so I cannot voach for them. Also I am not sure if they still sell them.

It would perhaps be worthwhile to try and see if they would fit into the Byrnes saw.

It works, but I wouldn't use it a lot for the reasons George gave.  And I'm not sure those washers would fit the Byrnes saw.  The other downside is that the dado isn't square because the blade wobbles and the cuts are basically an arc.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sounds like a router might do well for long cuts, like doing a deck beam for inset flooring.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions.  Canute I think your suggestion maybe what I'm looking for.  Didn't think of using a router.     

Incidentally while looking for dado info I ran across some Youtube videos that are published by a guy Named Izzy Swan.  Just search his name.  He has over a hundred "jigs" for many purposes.  I lied the one on making dowels.  A few others that may or may not be relevant to ship building.

Tom