HMS Endeavor by hof00 - Artesania Latina - Whitby Cat

Hi All,

It has been more than a few years since I posted on this particular thread.

(Good things take time? 🙂)

So, I have almost completed Sanson, something that I started in 2014.. While casting around for a subsequent build, I pulled out the Endeavour. (It was a toss-up between this and the Mamoli Flying Cloud.)

I decided to re-boot Endeavour.

An inspection first to ensure all the bits and pieces were there, they appear to be and second to inspect the Hull thus far. 

Not too much wrong, the two front Decks needed re-Planking to be completed and sanded and the Mahogany second planking, below the Whales needs to be re-done.

Today I finished the two front Decks, sanding and will drill and install the 400 or so Treenails starting tomorrow.

The Mahogany Planking requires approx. 25 full Planks per side, I did not have quite enough so ordered some from a NZ Website. The only problem is that the Kit calls for 5.0mm wide Planks, all good, but the only stuff that I could get my hands on was 3.0mm wide. Never Mind.... My plan is to Alternate 6.0 with 3.0mm wide Planks as I move down the Hull. I also plan to cut the planking to a more "Scale" Length rather than to lay the entire length of the Hull.

I am also in the process of studying "Banyan's" Build, I think that this is something to really aspire to. 🙂

So, that's the plan moving forward with this. I think I'm looking forward to completing this build.

(Photos after I complete the tasks above.)

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Small update:

The two front Decks, (Focsle/Tween?) are now in reasonable condition, Re-planked, Tree-Nailed and sanded. (Needs a coat of Polyurethane.)

I figured the Poop Deck did not require a re-do.

(Re-paint also on inside of Bulwarks.)

Photos posted below also show Hull Planking that needs to be re-done below the Whales, I have the Materials so will get busy on this soonish.

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0615.jpg

DSC_0616.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

• 4 months later...

Hi HOF, great to find another member of the Endeavour club :) - and many thanks for the accolades, I hope my build lives up to your expectations.   It looks like you have a very nicely faired hull, and the deck planking looks great.  Looking forward to seeing her come along. 

Just holler across the ditch if you have any questions mate, I still have many of the photos I posted so just let me know if you need any, or need any clarifications on why I did anything, especially the rigging.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2023 at 4:23 PM, BANYAN said:

Hi HOF, great to find another member of the Endeavour club :) - and many thanks for the accolades, I hope my build lives up to your expectations.   It looks like you have a very nicely faired hull, and the deck planking looks great.  Looking forward to seeing her come along. 

Just holler across the ditch if you have any questions mate, I still have many of the photos I posted so just let me know if you need any, or need any clarifications on why I did anything, especially the rigging.

cheers

Pat

Hi Pat,

Many thanks for that.

I do have a question:

• Do you have measurements/plans for the Deck furniture that you crafted on your model?

I think I'm getting somewhere.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

A new post for this subject and a few photos as of today.

• Re-Planked Forward and Tween Decks
  • Re-Planked Hull below the Wales
  • Paint and Polyurethane
  • Mucked around with "Castings." 
  • Attempted to model an alternative Stern Decoration, somewhat unsuccessful so opted for the "Lipstick on a Pig" version and use the kit decoration, not a very good molding at all....

My first 18th Century Ship, very different to the "Pointy" bows that I am more familiar with.

I now am fully focused on this build "post" Bismarck and associated cabinet.

My goal is to produce something of similar quality to that of @BANYAN (Pat) Thanks for the inspiration!! 🙂

Cheers.... HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0682.JPG

DSC_0683.JPG

DSC_0684.JPG

DSC_0685.JPG

DSC_0686.JPG

DSC_0687.JPG

DSC_0688.JPG

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Your build is coming along very nicely Harry; looking good.  WRT deck furniture,  basically followed the dimensions given by Marquardt in his drawing (at scale) in his "Capt. Cook's Endeavour" Revised Edition.  The exceptions being that I waited until I had placed the steering wheel and other deck equipment before making the skylight to fit. 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

9 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Your build is coming along very nicely Harry; looking good.  WRT deck furniture,  basically followed the dimensions given by Marquardt in his drawing (at scale) in his "Capt. Cook's Endeavour" Revised Edition.  The exceptions being that I waited until I had placed the steering wheel and other deck equipment before making the skylight to fit. 

cheers

Pat

Hi Pat,

As per my PM, thank you for your advice.

I am sure that Mr. Marquardt's' book will get a bit of a "Thrashing."

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Almost the end of March.... Time certainly flies.

Update to the Endeavour:

• Railings/Timberheads installed. I used 5.0mm wide Mahogany for the Railing material.
  • Gangway Steps constructed. and installed, 12 per side.
  • Skids were problematic, I should have constructed from thinner material in a couple of "Laminations", would have been much simpler.
  • Some Deck furniture constructed; Pump castings required quite a lot of work.
  • Stern Decoration installed, I decided on the "Lipstick on a pig" approach and it looks o.k.

Before installing the Rudder, I need to have a think about the color of the Hull below the Wales, Whit Stuff or Stain, unsure.

Been thinking on construction of a "Tool" to cut the outline of Loading Ports, I am not using the A/L castings for these.

Anyway, slowly onward!!

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0689.JPG

DSC_0690.JPG

DSC_0692.JPG

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro