How exactly does the rig for a hove-to maneuver look in the 18th ct ? (edited by admin)

Hi all,

maybe I've overlooked it, I didn't seem to find anything.

How exactly does the rigg for a hove-to manoevre look in the 18th ct ?

Hove-to describes the setting out or hauling in a ship's boat.

I would love to have a detailed layout.

thanks for helping

best regards

Tom

Tom

current workshop content:

L'Artesien, scratch

Le Rivoli, scratch

Hi,

I am looking for the rig used to launch and recover a ship's boat.

I am in the process of building L'Artisien, a French 64 twodecker around 1770, and want to show the ship setting out a boat.

Tom

Tom

current workshop content:

L'Artesien, scratch

Le Rivoli, scratch

Here are some photos from Harland's Seamanship in the Age of Sail that may help illustrate the process.

post-1079-0-68976200-1441038930_thumb.jpg

post-1079-0-69516900-1441038953_thumb.jpg

Sorry the legend got cut off:

a. Main stay tackle pendant

b. Fore stay tackle pendant

c. Triatic stay

d. main stay tackle

e. fore stay tackle

f. main yard tackle

g. fore yard tackle

h. top burton

i. rolling tackle

j. guys

Most of these tackles usages are fairly self explanatory.  The triatic stay is set up between the main and fore tackle pendants and is roughly the same length as the boats.  The top burton is set up from the top mast in the same manner as the main or fore stay tackles and pendants.  In this instance it is rigged to help take the strain on the lower yards.  The rolling tackles are actually the yard tackles from the opposite yard arms, stoppered halfway inboard along the yard with the lower block hooked into a strap around the mast.  This tackle helps to prevent the yard from shifting and relieves some of the strain on the jeers, slings, and parrels, etc.

In addition, all braces and trusses were hauled taut, the lee yardarms were topped up a little, the lee lifts and lee topsail clewlines were hauled taut to distribute the strain.

Underway, he vessel would be hove-to with the main topsail aback, the main yard almost square, and the fore yardarm hauled aft.  The boat is always hoisted out on the lee side.

Regards,

Edited by popeye2sea

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

A simple method, the only trick is to have the swing points high enough so the angles stay below 30° or so, get above that and the forces go way up quick. Have used a similar method to pull the rear end out of a 10 yard dump truck without help. Raised the dump box and blocked it, then hung two come-a-longs, first one lifted until the gearing was clear, then the other was used to swing it over like the sketch shows with the boat, went back and forth tightening one until the forces went way up on that side and then let the other out to complete the swing. Re rigged the rear come-a-long outboard to get gear cage over and down to the pickup, where I could slide it.. Slow but got the job done without help. For a while I was doing a lot of hopping around, would have put Bugs to shame.

jud

I thoroughly recommend John Harland and Mark Myers' Seamanship in the Age of Sail. Get a copy! It shows every conceivable evolution that might be carried out by ships with various rigs. It's been out of print for years, but good copies are usually available on abebooks.com

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 2 weeks later...