Help in Identifying an Unknown Tool

Hi folks, I have recently had some old tools come my way (#7, #4, #71 and #78 planes; and a bunch of other small odds and ends).  Among the other items was this small hand held tool that looks like it may be some form of vise.  The screew (metal into hardwood thread, slides the brass strip back and forth in the slot which can open to about75mm.  The slot is about about  3 -4 mm wide.  There are the stubs of what appear to have been two brass pins visible, on on the fixed end, one on the sliding part.

if not a vise, I intend to use it as such, as it is ideal for holding short lengths  for sanding, bevelling and drilling or the like.

Any ideas or clues please?

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-47248200-1460275950_thumb.jpg

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

It scribes parallel lines but is missing a block. There's a couple of pictures here https://www.etsy.com/listing/64392965/antique-brass-wood-carpenter-scribe-tool. Set the two pins for the distance apart for the lines then set the block for distance from the edge of the wood. Especially useful for mortice and tenon joints.

Rick

Hi Pat;

Over here in England,  that is what we call a mortice guage.  As Rick says above,  it is missing a block.  This block could be moved independently of the pins,  so that either one pin is just tucked into the face of the block,  in which case only one pin scribes a line,  or it can be set away from both pins,  so that a double line can be scribed.

Without the pins and the block,  it is probably only good for a small vice,  as you say.

All the best,

Mark

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thank you very much Rick, Mark and Bob - appreciate the feedback.  I had a thought after I had posted it may have been a scribe due to the two pins; but had not even thought on the missing block :)

Thanks also for the tip on the planes TLC - I will take a look.  These look to have been used by a carpenter (based on the wear and tear) with the soles having been trued.  that said, I intend to pull them down, clean all parts, resharpen the blades and retrue the soles and the sides of the rebate plane. 

cheers

Pat

Ah, thats the beastie - many thanks Gaetan.  My source is looking around his stuff to see if the block is there.

cheers

Pat

Thanks Rick and Gaetan - will need to find one :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Thanks Bob, happy with their use, just did not recognise it at first :)  I'll have a look at that video as paul has some interesting stuff.

cheers

Pat