Navio Rayo Puesto de Combate by bryanc - Disarmodel (Spain) - 1:32 - 1748 (year she was built)

Just a very brief update as things, predictably, are getting really "interesting". I'm currently building the middle deck support structure, and its proving very difficult. Needless to say the instructions are next to useless, with no direction as to methology, and only lateral measurements to help. There is no mention of heights whatsoever. You'd think an indication of how tall the beam support pillars are intended to be might be of use! But no, you're very much on your own. 

post-17543-0-17267700-1468319404.jpg

In the end I just winged it; I laid one of the decking planks at a suitable position and angle on the hull and used that as my anchor point, and in fact building everything upside down - planks, beams, hull supports, and lastly the beam supports went on in that order. Then the model was righted and a heavy weight on the beams at the deck centre end to ensure they adhered to the planking at the other by pure counter balance! I don't know if that makes any sense, but it works!

post-17543-0-92699800-1468319425.jpg

Even then I'm afraid the mid deck cannon rides too high in the gun-port, but that can be remedied to an extent by making the barrel sit lower in the carriage.

post-17543-0-74506200-1468319447.jpg

Turning wood is not my strong suit, and the beam supports (pillars) are best just glanced at, but in this model they are functional, actually carrying the weight of the deck!

Critical though I know I sound, I am thoroughly enjoying myself!

Bryan

BTW Wacko; I have received my birthday present and alas its not the Victory Cross-section, but the Santisima Trinidad cross-section, a very different (and small scale) kit, which may end up being shelved for a little while, as I'm loving building on a bigger scale so much. Sorry.

Completed build Caronada Francese

Completed build Posto di Combattimanto

Current build Navio Rayo - Puesto de Combate

Current build HMS Bounty

Completed build HMS Victory Cross Section

Completed build HM Brig "Supply"

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Hi Bryan

considering the lack of instructions you were not that far out on what is guess work for measurements.

What i usually do in that situation is dry fit it all using double sided tape then you can still take it apart to make adjustments

But well done on what you achieved :)

Middle Deck fitted

Just a quickie as the next logical step has been completed. The middle gun deck is now fitted and finished. I'm quite pleased, although it took some work to get there. Its looking good and solid if nothing else, and my previous comments about the deck pillars taking the weight is rubbish, completely removed the deck would remain just as solid. The odd doughnut shaped things are the mast supports/decoration of course. I have dry fitted the mast several times, its a tight fit, but fine. I do hope the "doughnuts" look a little less odd when the mast is in situ!

post-17543-0-81134600-1468662745.jpg

A couple of things to note; you may note I'm down to two deck support pillars (one of the intended three ended up too short!), but shorty I'll be down to none!  I'm unhappy with them, surely I can do better, so am going to replace them all. I'm desperately hoping my local DIY shop sells 8mm doweling and am heading up there shortly, that supplied by the kit long since used up. (I know I can readily get some online Bob, but the 8mm is all I need and bearing in mind the hefty postage, if the local shop can supply it, then its obviously the better choice initially).

I've also veered away from the plan somewhat. I have fitted an extra deck beam. The one furthest away as the photo shows, is not on the plan. So I've fitted one. I feel justified in doing so partly because I moved the existing ones closer together than planned (not entirely intentionally!), and partly because it just didn't look right, the cross beams ending in the middle of nowhere on the right hand side. No doubt I'll pay the price when I run out of beam material on the top deck.

That is a point actually; quality stuff though it is, there's certainly not an overabundance of material supplied. Eyelets are another example, I ran out ages ago, and still need many more. Luckily anyone who has done a couple of builds previously has spare eyelets.

So the upper deck beckons. I'm going to sit and have a good think about it though, I had such problems fitting the middle deck, I'm half tempted to build the deck completely "off ship", to fit it as one complete piece after. Its getting the dimensions right that's going to be problematic doing it that way.

Onward and upward...

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

Looking good Bryan :) .

when i start mine i may only use the instructions for order of build and use the photo sheet supplied for where to place parts where possible.

Good idea Bob, as already discussed, the instructions are dire, but the photos at least a little helpful. Obviously I'll watch how you go about things.

Thanks Wacko it is looking good isn't it? As I've said its a thoughtful design and well implemented, its quite nudged me towards section and "diorama" kits, but there's few about.

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

We can rebuild...

I thought an update was overdue, because many changes have occurred which needed logging, if only for my own benefit!

The three gun port covers were assembled and positioned, but not without difficulty. By now I'm used to having inadequate instructions, but not having pieces of the kit missing! There were no cover brackets, nor hinge mechanisms (assuming there were meant to be, that manual...!), so I had to create and assemble my own. I'm not at all displeased with them, and decided to leave them "brass" rather than black. They add a great deal to the outer hull of course.

post-17543-0-32914900-1469268050.jpg

As I was pondering earlier; I decided to build the upper deck completely "off piste", and in fact it's still "off piste" for the moment. It was infinitely easier to build in this way, but lining it up with the rest of the build was tricky obviously, as was getting the mast "hole" in the right place. I'm confident it is now, after a lot of work, as good as if it was built onto the existing kit.

post-17543-0-63471900-1469268074.jpg

Another benefit was of course having lots more room to play with below, and it occurred to me that positioning the guns, and all the deck paraphernalia on the bottom deck would be so much easier if the middle deck wasn't there! Nothing ventured ...  I removed it! Not without casualty I must admit; the photos reveal the upper deck supports didn't take kindly to being uprooted, and both were severed in half! Not for the first time I underestimated the power of the humble carpenters wood glue!

post-17543-0-41455200-1469268193.jpg

post-17543-0-27017600-1469268112.jpg

However the sheared off "stumps" actually act very well as "registers", enabling the deck to be exactly positioned as it was before, by keying them together. And of course it did make adding the guns, their rigging etc sooooo much easier. The photos show the (biggest) guns positioned in all their brooding glory. Not all the rigging has yet been attached. I did also construct a table and benches (bashed, as no provision was made for them in the kit). Alas as the guns took their positions it became obvious the table made things far too cramped. I have since made it more narrow, and will include it later if it seems appropriate.

The middle deck will shortly be (re)fixed in position and I have already "turned" four pillars which are an improvement on the last ones (my local builders merchants did have some (9mm) dowel I'm relieved to say. Sadly they didn't have any 6mm rings and smaller eyelets (well, it was unlikely) , so I've had to order and await these before I could continue. Sadly another criticism of this kit; lack of parts!

My enjoyment of this build however remains undiminished, we'll say nothing of the instructions.

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

Yes well that would make sense Bob as I've discovered. However, as you now know, one of the things the manual does emphatically say is do the decks first! But we've said all there is to say about the manual!

Glad you like it, I'm very pleased. There are faults of course, but overall its looking OK.

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

Yes it looks great. The problem is the builder always sees a tiny fault as a massive one and the average viewer doesn't even notice a fault :)

Must check mine for the hinges, if I remember when I get back

Edited by Cobr@

Middle gun-deck about to be (re)fitted!

The cannon rigging and most of the lower deck paraphernalia has now been completed. I say "most" because several items were missing or incomplete as regards the kit contents. The large fuse barrels just weren't in the kit, and the number of cannon balls (of both sizes) was grossly inadequate, as were the rings already mentioned. (More about my efforts to get them replaced later).

As there wasn't even room to place the two cannonball stands as the manual shows I have made do with just the one. It looks OK, whereas two of the same size (as specified in the manual) would have looked ridiculous - and I didn't have enough cannonballs to fill two stands anyway! Also not yet added are the cannon ramrods, cleaners etc., which can be added at anytime, and I'll almost certainly construct and position them all at the same time. Larger barrels and maybe other odds and sods I'll position when the middle deck (and its supports) are positioned.

post-17543-0-81859200-1469706981.jpg

The cannon by the way were fitted a la Cobr@, with pins through the wheel base into the deck (thanks Bob!). They at least won't be going anywhere. No room unfortunately for the bashed table and benches, although I will give some thought to other deck items which may have been present in the real thing when I can see how much room I have to play with - it seems there will be quite a lot.

post-17543-0-14005600-1469706996.jpg

Just some scratched paintwork on the lower inner hull to touch up, then the middle deck goes up!

You can imagine my dismay to discover no large fuse barrels present, and given the general lack of other items I "penned" a terse email to the kit suppliers Guinea Hobbies in Spain. Given the problems I had with them originally I wasn't too confident I'd even got a response, but perhaps because of my threat to get the "credit card people" on the case (always a good weapon), I was delighted to receive an email almost by return promising they had got onto the manufacturers and would be replacing the missing items within  7 days. We'll see!

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

Looks like a section of proper working ship now Bryan :)  I like it.

Still need to check all the parts in my kit, just keep forgetting :D

You would think that as a new kit manufacturer just starting out that they would keep a tighter control over their quality checks for missing parts etc

Hi Bryan :)

Just checked my parts and there are no gun port lid hinge parts in mine either. If you look at the part number for them in the booklet then check the parts list the numbers are for something different :o

Not a good start for a new manufacturer starting out is it :huh:

Having rechecked the instruction booklet i found

1. You have to make the Lid hinges yourself, check the picture of the lid assembly with the hinges fitted and just to the side of it is another picture with measurements of the sizes to make the hinges

2. The large fuse buckets have to be made up from the part numbers on the picture in the booklet

Very easy to miss as the instructions are just pictures and numbers with minimal words

Thanks Bob, I did wonder about the hinges, but thought I'd thoroughly checked re. the big barrels. But as you say, with a manual like that!

Makes you wonder what on earth Guinea Hobbies are going to send me!

Current build HMS Bounty

Working up to the Top Deck

There's been quite a lot of additions, so I thought I'd do an update because the top deck will be going on shortly, and quite a lot of the work, while still visible, won't be so easy to photograph. Having said that I think I'm going to do a lot of the top deck furniture and fittings; balustrades and the like, before I fit the deck.

post-17543-0-91238700-1470137258.jpg

The work done recently includes completion of the gun rigging, and the mass of paraphernalia that litters the two decks, and litters is really the word in this case. A great jumble of stuff laying about, but I love it, it makes it all the more interesting even if no self respecting captain would ever allow a deck to be so messy!

post-17543-0-31519000-1470137279.jpg

The gun cleaners and ramrods were interesting to make, I approached it with some trepidation, but ultimately found them fun to do, so much so that in addition to the "ladles" and ramrods, I also made a sponger which isn't catered for in the kit, and I may yet try and do a "wormer/scraper", although that might be gilding the lily a little, as there isn't a great deal of room left, and the infamous fuse buckets have yet to go on each deck (still awaiting a post with whatever delights Guinea Models might send). Needless to say I had run out of material to make the handles long before I even got to the extra ones. (Which accounts for the vaguely different handle colours of the latter ones). I had to sand down a bit of spare doweling I had "in stock".

post-17543-0-29504200-1470137297.jpg

One item of note which as much as anything illustrates what a rubbish manual the kit has is the port lid rigging. Absolutely no reference is made to it in the instructions, nor is there a photo specifically showing it, although it can vaguely be seen in a couple. Its actually quite complicated, and were it not for it being an integral part of Cobr@s "Section Deck Between Gun Bays", and Cobr@ thoroughly photographing it, I would have been totally clueless as to how it was rigged. (Must remember to blacken the brass fittings!).

post-17543-0-50170500-1470137317.jpg

The end is still a good way off, but is in sight, and I can honestly say for all its faults I am enjoying this build more than any I've previously attempted.

Current build HMS Bounty

Hi Bryan :)

You've made a lot of progress in the last few days. I see you say that you followed the way my gun lids where rigged on my section deck. The way i rigged them was different from the recommended way the instructions dictated, the instructions said to use 4 blocks but they did not supply enough in my kit so i rigged it with three my own way. Never the less they worked so all was good. Yours look good to me. The only thing i don't like about the way both this kit and the section deck kit say to rig the lid closing rigging is it just doesn't look right to me. Looking at the lids on HMS Victory it looks like the close under their own weight and don't need separate rigging just a couple of eyelets to fasten them shut once closed as in this photo

post-11947-0-53202600-1470139123_thumb.jpg

Yes Bob I tend to think you're right, I absolutely sure they could shut under their own weight. There would have to be some system to keep them securely up and open when necessary, but all that rigging does seem over the top. Try though I did I could find absolutely no reference to "port lid rigging" in my Internet searches.

By the way, looking now at the top deck I find all four of the "precut" cast hand rail stanchions have been neatly snapped in half. It looks for all the world as if some disgruntled packer has just snapped all four. I really can't imagine how all four could just break like that in transit.

Mind you they are ugly things and aren't even used in the manual photos, so I'll be making them out of wood anyway. But out of curiosity have a look in your box when you have a moment. Also no "pre-cut" hand rails as it claims in the manual (I think). They won't be easy to replicate with those holes in. Have you got those?

Cheers.

Current build HMS Bounty

Yes that's what i was saying the only rigging required is to open the lids and keep them open. Gravity takes care of the closing, regulating the speed they shut is done by the same rigging as used to open them.

Just checked my parts. 1 of the 4 precast stanchions in mine has snapped in half too :o

As for the handrails the wood is there but you have to make them yourself, the pictures show the sizes of each square hole and the distance between them.

If they were precut then there would be no need for the measurements. Another part not made clear in the manual  :huh:

Edited by Cobr@

Top Deck Fitted and ...oh dear!

I hand built the handrails and stanchions including the ones I thought had been omitted (yes you were right Bob, oh that manual) and fitted them in place before fitting the deck. All went well and was quiet pleased, they look quite good - until I stood back. The said handrails and stanchions were built by the book, but look oversized. But then I realised it wasn't them that were too big, but the middle deck that had been fitted too high :-( As fitted the sailors who manned that deck would have to be about 4ft high (proportionally).

post-17543-0-75843800-1470396032.jpg

(You can imagine the nautical terms that were uttered!).

I've no choice, I'll have to remove and refit the middle deck otherwise it would haunt me forever. I notice the cannon barrel is riding higher than it should (not surprisingly), so I've about 8mm to play with. Not a great deal, but as in effect it will mean both the lower deck will be 8mm less high and the middle deck 8mm lower, it will help appearances.

I've already removed the middle deck support pillars from the lower deck. You'll probably hear the sickening crack as the middle deck is separated from the hull! A lot to do though, all deck support pillars will have to be remade. The cannon should survive, as it's pinned to the deck. It will alter the alignment of the mast to, but hopefully not too much. Oh well...

Edited by bryanc

Current build HMS Bounty

Oh no now you have the top deck on in the photo the difference in the deck heights stand out. Again the fault of the manual as you fitted the middle deck supports where the manual photos suggested. It wouldn't be to bad if they gave the height of the support pillars, at least then you would have had something to work with. There would have to be a big improvement in the manual for this kit to catch on. Which is a shame because it is one of the best looking cross sections I have seen.

Yes Bob, a really good kit, wholly spoilt by a poor manual - and lack of parts. No ladder sides, not one of the two sets are present, and this time they are not intended to be built, they are clearly marked as "pref"! I've started making the small one myself (top RH corner of the cutting mat), but the big one will be more demanding.

Anyway, the middle deck is now removed (did anyone hear the heart rending crack?!). It came away intact apart from the supports (again!). You can see one replacement about to be shaped on the cutting mat.

post-17543-0-83617100-1470428726.jpg

I've tried a refit "by hand" lower down, and thankfully I can go low enough to make it look all the more respectable. I can't deny I'm a bit worried about the mast alignment, the mast "hole" is bound to move back a fraction, just how much of a fraction!?

Edited by bryanc

Current build HMS Bounty

Bad instructions making what should be a really enjoyable build into a repetitive pain having to do the same things over and over.

If the deck is raised evenly the mast hole should stay in line. but to aid it, if possible fit the supports to the deck first then place the mast through all the decks then fit the supports and the deck to the inner hull.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a late update

Whoops, various things have kept me from the build; a few nice summer days for instance, but also awaiting parts for the build and so on.

Because of the various problems I've had with the kit; poor instructions and lack of, or poor, parts, I wrote to the suppliers. Given that the lack of parts, and poor instructions, are actually nothing to do with him as such, he responded very positively. He has been in touch on my behalf with the kit manufacturers, and has been able to confirm that the poor manual will be revised and items like the cast iron stanchions etc will be replaced with more sensible items in further editions of the kit - not much use to me of course, but the supplier did send me various items to replace or add to the broken or missing things; more cannonballs(!), more eyelets, brass wire of various dimensions and other stuff, including replacements for the cast iron items. Although he replaced those items, he did suggest I actually fashion replacements from the brass wire, which I had actually already started doing, having found in addition to the cast iron items that arrived broken, one only had to begin to work with them and they snapped - really really useless and not fit for purpose.

post-17543-0-80595100-1472466936.jpg

But the build has (limped) forward as you see. I do dislike inaccuracy, and I maintain the upper deck "furniture"; the stanchions etc, are scaled far too big. Given the handrails are presumably at waist height or above, the men manning the upper deck guns would have to be on their hands and knees to do so! It just doesn't sit comfortably with me. The cannon itself (one of the two just dry fitted for now) do seem too small, and the over-small wheels make the thing look like a toy. I may yet put more substantial wheels on them.

post-17543-0-86077100-1472466957.jpg

Again it just drives home what a well imagined and brilliantly design concept this is, but so badly let down by poor implementation and, well, that manual!

But I'll persevere because despite everything, I do like the kit...

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

I agree Bryan. The kit looks great but let down by shoddy materials and useless manual. It's not even that the instructions have been made useless in the translation of them, because it's just pictures and numbers mostly and bad measurements and in some case no measurements. Having gone through the manual and parts on mine i honestly cannot get the urge to build it yet. :huh:

Well I do sympathise Bob, god knows, but given you are forewarned to a point, and can learn from my (forced) mistakes, you will I'm sure do an infinitely superior job, but more to the point, will enjoy it (in that masochistic way of wooden kit builders) ;-) In fact, if I were awash with money (which I'm definitely not!), I would genuinely be tempted to buy another and redo it - I so like the concept.

Incidentally, the supplier did mention Disarmodel have four new kits ready for release (he inferred nautical ones)! Can't deny I'm curious!!

Thanks,

Bryan

Edited by bryanc

Current build HMS Bounty

Well they will have to be something really special. Just had another look at the contents of mine and as you pointed out there are not enough cannon balls supplied, mine are the same but mine look like they have been fired once or twice already :D

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Well I'm back after a long absence with the sad news that I've shelved my current build the Navio Rayo - Puesto de Combate, at least for now. As I've said many times the kits concept is wonderful, and it was a fun build, to a point, but there comes the time when the never ending tearing it apart to rebuild after discovering design errors or scale imperfections or lack of materials just wears you down. I became very disenchanted with it, and there was a very real danger of it putting me off model ship building altogether (which in effect it did, for nearly a month). I don't want that so its sat in a windowsill for the time being, and all the bits are back in its box and stowed away.

I'm about to start work on the Panart Posto di Combattimanto, another cross section, but one with a brilliant build log on here already (nod to Bob), so I know that serious issues with this build will be down to me.

See you there...

Edited by bryanc

Current build HMS Bounty