Sternwheeler by Keith Simmons - FINISHED - 1/4" = 1' - no plans

Hi guys,

First I want to apologize for not keeping the build log current with the build. I was multi- tasking by working on the wheel and rails at the same time and before I knew it the exterior was done... :(   Anyway, let me see if I can back track a bit and make some sense of this log. Hopefully I can figure out how to sequence the photos with a description. If not I will just separate them with replies. 

post-24231-0-04570600-1471610659_thumb.jpg

With the hull section I wanted to show the engine room and wheel structure. I'm still deciding what I want to do with the aft compartment, I am leaning towards a bar under construction. As for the wheel, I started off with a 1 1/2" plug of Bubinga and knowing the diameter was to be 6" I started mass producing Pine spokes 2 1/4" long. Then it was just a matter of pinning the hubs to my little living room work table and gluing the 32 spokes. Once I had 2 sides of the wheel spokes done I started filling in the perimeter with 10 degree connection pieces. Once that dried I added the Bubinga connectors also 10 degree cuts. At this point I started building the wheel hanging structure to get the overall wheel length ( 7" ). Since I wanted the wheel to turn, I cut a bunch of paddles out of pine and Bubinga then glued them in a pattern that make the wheel strobe as it was turned. Worked out pretty good.... :)

post-24231-0-83735900-1471612066_thumb.jpg

In this section I wanted to build a small theater so I set a stage and made several pews ( they were easier than actual seating..lol  Keep in mind, the only tools I am using are a coping saw and a drill and I want the boat to look under construction. I'm not sure the columns are apparent but that is what they are suppose to be... ;)

post-24231-0-74804900-1471612304_thumb.jpg     

With this section I have the stacks and  wheelhouse . Planning on a wheel and a desk or something for this interior. As for the stacks, I have a bunch of stair pickets from my many years of home building and I just cut them apart and glue sections together to get the desired size and shape, In this case I also used some 7/8" rubber O-rings to create the weld lips which you see on this type of stack.post-24231-0-25122600-1471613028_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-96228700-1471613058_thumb.jpg

Then the top section shows the rail system which uses 220 clear push pins with a Bubinga rail. Since the wood was too hard to just push the pins into place I had to drill the holes and then cut of 80% off of the actual pin then glue a place.

post-24231-0-49032600-1471613323_thumb.jpg

Hopefully, I shed a little light on how I build these models, I never have a detailed plan. I get a picture in my head then try to make it come to life, With that kind of process things can and do change all the time, A good example was the suggestion by Patrick to show the framing. That turned into the starboard side being the ( under construction ) side, Thanks Patrick, good call.... :dancetl6:    Anyway, thank you all for your interest and once I start my next build I will try to make the log a bit more interesting.  Hint:  It is going to be war ship... :D

Thanks again and everyone have a great day,  Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

I think your build is brilliant. I love the rails and the use of the glass pins is fantastic. I would love to know a bit more about how you made the paddle wheels as in managing to keep them so beautifully circular.

Anyway, wonderful work, I wish I were that clever !"

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

....I knew they were push pins!   :D  :D     brilliantly done!   of course.......if a plan was used,  there would be no freedom.   wonderful work and very resourceful.   looking forward in seeing your next build  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I think your build is brilliant. I love the rails and the use of the glass pins is fantastic. I would love to know a bit more about how you made the paddle wheels as in managing to keep them so beautifully circular.

Anyway, wonderful work, I wish I were that clever !"

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments. I think the key to getting a circular wheel is using 16 spokes. All I did with mine was to set spokes 4 at a time on imaginary compass points starting with N S E W, then I just split each space equally until all 16 spokes were used. After finding a common measurement between the spokes I cut the connecting pieces at 10 degrees and glued them into place 4 at a time using the compass points. I have done other wheels with 8 or 12 spokes and they weren't as round as I wanted. So in my opinion 16 spokes makes all the difference.

Hope this made sense, worth a try anyway.... ;) 

Thanks, Keith 

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Many thanks Keith, I build carriages etc when not doing boats so the info is really useful for both. Many thanks.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

• The title was changed to Sternwheeler by Keith Simmons - FINISHED - 1/4" = 1' - no plans