HM Bark Endeavour by Mindi - Caldercraft - 1/64 - stopped build resumed

Hi Mindi, Dashi's build log has a good discussion about it.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Mindi I've posted this answer in your discussion question and pasted it here also, and cheers Pat.

Here's a link to a discussion we had a few months back http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13503-mast-lengths-and-their-above-deck-heights-for-hmb-endeavour/?hl=%2Bendeavour+%2Bmizzen. If you are going for the taller mizzen then based on the length given for the mizzen standing mast in 1771 from Woolwich yard @ 50'6" and assuming it to be stepped in the lower deck (see discussion), I've worked out the following for the 1:64 scale Caldercraft Endeavour kit: Above the quarterdeck 181mm, below deck 57mm = Total 238mm.

Using the Woolwich yard measurements I've also had to adjust the kit lengths of the main and fore standing masts to 296mm and 286mm respectively. If you choose to use these measurements then please double check my math.

Hope this helps?

Cheers Dashi

Edited by Dashi

Current Build:HM Bark Endeavour, scale 1:64, Caldercraft static kit (Build Log)

The boats look great. I do like the detail. I shall Endeavor to follow along on this build. I hate the boat construction too but it's all part of it. Good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Working on the bowsprit to have a break from boats. Am staining all masts and spars as AOTS "pine resin varnish"....aka...wattyl baltic pine. It is a revolting yellowish pale brown but when aged a bit by rubbing with a kleenex and some black it looks pretty realistic.

post-25789-0-52804400-1473744264_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Have been working on the front end..oops..bow..! Just about done bowsprit and supports. Finally managed to bump and snap a bumpkin...called that because if you bump it you kin start making another one. (sorry) 

Serious bumpkin question...recognise that AOTS argues strongly for bumpkins and other authors & modellers reject them as over interpreting Banks' sketches and they did not exist on the ship...whatever..! Once you have them in place and the anchor lashed to the gunwhale, I cannot see how you can install bumpkin stays to the locations shown on AOTS and still lower the anchor past them. I would have thought the anchor in practice would have been lowered  under control and in an emergency able to be cut free and freefall ...this would wipe out the bumpkin stays in one fell swoop. Anyone thought about this..?

post-25789-0-27349100-1474860810_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-85910500-1474860817_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-13621300-1474860825_thumb.jpg

Hi Mindy. Yes I asked the same question when doing my build. Eventually I rigged the anchor cable as a long loop around the outside of the outer bumpkin stay. The anchor cable remains inside the inner/bow stay. It can then drop and free fall without hitting anything. It seems to work and looks ok.

Cheers

Martin 

Hi Mindy, I have the same discussion in my build log.  I have opted for the bumpkins/boomkins as when you enhance Parkinson's drawings in photoship, they can be nothing else.  His drawings are very accurate in all aspects and if he took the time to get detail right for shutters, deadlights, windows etc, then I am reasonably confident he would have drawn these fairly accurately also?

We did this exercise as part of the discussions in our club with Karl H Marquardt and Ray Parkins (both club members at the time) having some very lively debates :)  It was also pointed out that the bumkins are designed and rigged to be used at sea, and removed when working the anchor.  This makes a lot of sense for both anchor work and the sail handling.

Your choice, and who is actually to know unless some long lost clear drawing/evidence is to emerge with time?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)