Byrnes Ropewalk

I noticed the Byrnes ropewalk is labeled "call for availability" on the website.  I sent Jim an email, and he responded that they have suspended production, apparently due to lack of interest, but was willing to put my name on a list in case some demand develops and he starts making them again.  If anyone is interested in a Byrnes Ropewalk, contact Jim, and maybe we can get him to do a production run now.  Winter is coming!  What better way to spend it than creating high quality rope!  Give Jim a call or send an email if interested.

There are some parameters to control when making ropes to get the best quality ropes.

One of the difficulties in making ropes is the control of the tension applied during ropes turning, too much and the rope will be too hard. Controlling the number of turns at one end is one thing but you also need to control the number at the other end to balance the strength in the ropes so that the finished product keeps a stable length and does not stretch.

Many types of ropes machines exist but some works better than other.

The type you are looking is the best looking type of rope machine on the market. But I would ask myself  2 question:

- Are there peoples on this forum who can control the process with this  kind of machine and get perfect  different type of ropes?

- If the answer is no, then is there another type of rope making machine which can process  the perfect rope?

Can the answer to the second question be yes? Yes  but you would have to build it. Here is an example;

post-184-0-68272800-1472829891.jpg

Edited by Gaetan Bordeleau

Dave,

I don't think people will be spending money on the Byrnes AND the Domanoff ropewalk. The chance you find someone whom has worked them both is probably nill

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

There are some parameters to control when making ropes to get the best quality ropes.

You have hit the nail on the head about what I have been thinking. We see some good looking rope coming off of those commercial machines but the tension is forced to change along the length of the rope as it laid up. Gravity and an adjustable weight, a free turning spinner on the laid up end, along with a hand held spreader, requiring close attention, would be the more versatile machine. Those commercial machines can make rope that is much better than what is usually provided in most kit's, that and the ability to size the ropes produced is probably the priority for most purchasers of those machines, not a perfectly working rope.

Room for both commercial and the home grown variety, which type for you? Depends not only on cost but maybe a little traditional rope production, might be a large part in the choice.

jud

Edited by jud