Hi all, 

Now that I am approaching the end of my Endeavour (circa 1770) build and adding some of the 'detail' I am questioning the shape and length of the spare spars that would have been carried.  As these were spares for multiple tasks I think these may not have been shaped (tapered) but rather carried as rounded blanks?

can anyone shed any light on this topic please?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Pat, the spares were usually shaped, such as spare top masts, topgallants and maybe a yard or two.  

The AOS book 'Endeavour' by Marquardt, pages 135 and 136 show shaped spares under the ship's boats (on the gallows).   

If a ship needed a jury rig, the bosun would use what ever he could get aloft to fly a sail.                          Duff

Thank's Duff, do you have a Reference or anything you can point me to?  I have Marquardt (AOTS) but wonder what this is based on?  What you say makes a lot of sense but I was wondering if for these longer the same practice was applicable?  The shaped spares (which to carry) would have been set by the current  'establishment' and would have been determined from experience of ships over many years based on 'wear and tare', storm damage and battle damage etc.  I am just exploring whether a slightly adapted allotment of spare spars may have been issued for these sorts of exploration expeditions?

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Pat,

I have no idea if this can lead to help, but there are a couple photos of a model of the Endeavor in the area of the ship's boats and spare spars beneath them in James Lees'  Masting and Rigging  The caption says the model was made at the NMM and rigged by Lees, so MAYBE there is someone there that can get you answers.  There looks to be a top mast amongst other spare masts or spars but that is about the only thing I can see.   This is an interesting subject for any vessel.   I went through the 1745 Establishment page by page and it gives the dimensions of the masts and spars for the different size warships, but I found nothing there on spares to be carried. Same for the Shipbuilder's Repository, nothing on spares to be carried that I could find.  I hope someone has an answer.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Pat -

I agree with Allan (above) - no "establishment" type of listing for spare spars.  I suspect that each class (and, for that matter, generation) of vessel had a common-practice set of spare spars, generally as generic as possible due to space constraints (that is, a spar that could be used as a top mast or top sail yard if needed, rather than individual spare spars for each).  In the case of the Endeavour, it is likely that a few more may have been included since there were no convenient ports to put in to for repairs.  You may find the best information in contemporary models or in logs and port records from the period. 

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thanks for the feedback Allan and Wayne, much appreciated.  Your thoughts/comments align with my research to date; hence my thoughts that perhaps a more generic set of poles may have been carried that could be adapted to meet the need.

Allan, I will take a look at that model and some other contemporary models held by the NMM to see if there is some consistency.  I know a lot of the more modern (later built) models, and the AOTS etc show shaped spars and masts but is this interpretation or based on fact?

cheers

Pat

Contemporary models I've seen with spars in the waist usually have two spare topmasts. These can be used to replace a broken one (not an unusual circumstance) or to lash as a splint to a damaged lower mast.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

If part of a fleet, ships would share spare spars as needed.  If a ship became unserviceable and was condemned, her stores would be apportioned among the rest.  This practice raises hob with any 'establishment' of spares.

Thanks for the further comments Druxey and JB; much appreciated.

At this point I think I will go with 2 x spare top masts (shaped but not drilled/mortised for sheaves) and a couple of spars (tapered).  However, as she was deployed on a long, unsupported voyage i think I may add a couple of round (not shaped) poles also.

cheers

Pat