Amati Vanguard Cap Rails? Help!

glbarlow

Surely I'm missing something in my Amati Vanguard kit.  There should be 6 curved pieces that are part of the cap rails 2 curving from the poop deck 2 near midships, and 2 from the forecastle.  I see them installed on other Amati Vanguard build logs but I cannot find them in my kit or on the plans showing the parts.

Can someone point me where to find them in this kit?  I must be looking right past them, its quite frustrating knowing they must be there somewhere

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 4 weeks later...

Turns out that unlike Pegasus there were no such parts -  I ended up making the ½ curved pieces myself, it all turned out fine as shown in my build log.

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hi Chris, it was the curved area on the hull below there rail.  As shown on this image I ended up making them from 5mm walnut strip (cut down to 4mm to match the laser cut pieces in the kit.  A little tricky for such a short piece, but that's what makes it fun.  I was just expecting it ti be a kit piece for some reason

post-6154-0-37424600-1475003393.jpg

I had a two year lay-off on this model, not taking it all that seriously as I did the Pegasus - just therapeutic wood work.

Do you have any new kits underway or recently finished?  I followed Caldercraft for years waiting for them to finish the Surprise kit, I guess they just gave it up.

Regards,

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Ah, that little area. I am sure I did the same as you. With hindsight I should have added them as pre-cut parts, but the trouble with small curved parts like that, when pre-cut from thick natural wood is that they have a tendancy to break very easily. With that in mind, using a small length of scrap wood strip may be less of a headache. I usually pre-soak the strip and then manipulate the curve using my finger or pair of pliers. If it's stubbern I use heat (holding the bend over a gas hob)

I think Revenge is out, and I am sure Victory will not be too long now - although that is a monster of a model...

Nice work on your vanguard, by the way, very neat and very clean.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook