HMS Bounty Launch by Sunsanvil - Model Shipways - Scale 1:16 - First wooden ship build

That looks very similar to the mast arrangement and sail plan of the Bounty's launch. Technically a different style of boat, but it's your model, and there were almost certainly some unusual prototypical arrangements out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this while noodling around looking for my next build. You've got a good looking build, and you got a lot of useful advice. I'm going to follow along and see how it all comes out 

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

Regretfully I'm still at something of an impasse on finishes. I want to do the interior in a stain and paint the outside. The paint is no problem as I have decades of experience and a treasure chest of supplies (including multiple airbrushes).

I've experimented a bit with water based stains on scrap basswood and find grain raising to be a real issue, even with sealers, and its not the look I'm after (just looks like extra thin paint).

I should probably try a small jar of MinWax and experiment applying it with gauss cloth (though those spontaneous combustion warnings make me nervous). Does anyone know if acrylic paint can be applied over it? I'm thinking ahead to what might happen if some bleeds through a crack to the outside.

• 2 years later...

Yes, its true, I abandoned this to a shelf for, what...two years?! Embarrassing. But the cover is off, the box is open, the plans rolled out again.  Now, where was I?  Oh yes, staining the inside.

Need some help/direction here.

What (I think) I want to do is get some stain between the ribs before fitting floor boards etc. But how? Do they make stain brushes that small or should I just use a bit of scrunched up cheeze cloth? I cant really "rub in the direction of the grain" in between those ribs. Will that matter in this instance? Would gel stain be a better choice here? Is it worth applying pre-stain?post-25565-0-98179100-1484782571_thumb.jpg

I would use a long free cloth wrapped around your finger and rub your finger between the ribs. Direction doesn’t matter too much on the inside of the hull. Floorboards will cover some of the finish anyway. What stain color did you decide?

Steve