Jump to content

Still Learning rabbit - rebate

Recommended Posts

For years the word used for the line where the planks meet the keel has been called the rabbit line.  Recently I have been seeing it called the rebate.  So I looked it up to see if I was wrong all these years.  Here is what I found.


The line where the planks meet the keel is the rabbit line.  The groove that is cut on that line is the rebate. 


Thought there might be others that would like to know.



Every build is a learning experience.


Current build:  SS_ Mariefred


Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

                                                a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 


In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In this case, rabbit is spelled rabbet, in which the rabbeted edge is formed by a rebate.

Just so we're all clear on this.  :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

QUIET!!!!!!!!!! I'm hunting rabets, i mean rabbits, I mean rebates, NO NO NO, I mean wabbits!


Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...