Lynx by Rat-Fink-A-Booboo - Mantua Panart - First wooden model - Building as 1816 Musquidobit

always good to experiment :)    mock up a couple test 'walls'..... planked over.   sand and give'em the finish.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Here is a current interpretation of Lynx, at the recent Sail Boston event:

Lynx.jpg.73fb2b180b0f481a8ea6647f03e1410a.jpg

Information about this ship at http://tallshiplynx.com/

Andrew Bodge

Finished:  Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack (Midwest / Model Shipways)

Finished: Maine Lobster Boat (BlueJacket)

Finished: Yankee Hero (BlueJacket)

Finished: Emma C. Berry (Model Shipways)

Finished: Northeaster Dory (Chesapeake Light Craft)

Finished: Schooner Bowdoin (BlueJacket)

Finished: US Revenue Cutter "Joe Lane" (Marine Models)

Missing and presumed lost: Friendship Sloop (Laughing Whale)

55 minutes ago, ahb26 said:

Here is a current interpretation of Lynx, at the recent Sail Boston event:

Lynx.jpg.73fb2b180b0f481a8ea6647f03e1410a.jpg

Information about this ship at http://tallshiplynx.com/

But beware, this nowadays Lynx has very little in common with the original 1812 privateer. Although the connection with her surely looks interesting, the design is very different. Actually, only common maybe a name and written story of the original....

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

Hi Andrew

Thanks for this - I'd have loved to have seen it.

Thanks Juhu

I have a picture of this ship as my PC wallpaper currently. I think the biggest issue in terms of it being a replica rather than a mere 'interpretation' is the stern. The 1816 lines show more of a 'lute' stern whereas this ship has more of a counter stern. The model kit seems to hedge it's bets on this issue too, so I removed about 18 scale inches from the transom area so that the rudder now descends almost straight down from the transom board as in the 1816 in Chapelle.

According to Chapelle, she should have seven gun ports per side. I think the shallow entry of the bow to the water on the new ship is beautiful, but I don't think its in keeping with the early 19th century. Again, the plans in Chapelle show a steeper, more convex entry into the water. \i think the new ship has been designed to be a bit more friendly, particularly where 'pitch' is concerned - but then, what would I know :)

Did you get a chance to go on board? I'm hugely envious, I love Boston.

Wishing all fair winds and a following sea.

Don

59 minutes ago, Rat-Fink-A-Booboo said:

Hi Andrew

Thanks for this - I'd have loved to have seen it.

Thanks Juhu

I have a picture of this ship as my PC wallpaper currently. I think the biggest issue in terms of it being a replica rather than a mere 'interpretation' is the stern. The 1816 lines show more of a 'lute' stern whereas this ship has more of a counter stern. The model kit seems to hedge it's bets on this issue too, so I removed about 18 scale inches from the transom area so that the rudder now descends almost straight down from the transom board as in the 1816 in Chapelle.

According to Chapelle, she should have seven gun ports per side. I think the shallow entry of the bow to the water on the new ship is beautiful, but I don't think its in keeping with the early 19th century. Again, the plans in Chapelle show a steeper, more convex entry into the water. \i think the new ship has been designed to be a bit more friendly, particularly where 'pitch' is concerned - but then, what would I know :)

Did you get a chance to go on board? I'm hugely envious, I love Boston.

Wishing all fair winds and a following sea.

Don

Hi Don,

in my opinion, there are more differences, not only at stern. Actually, due to the all safety regulations, I believe it is not even possible to built a modern replica of these fast but also quite unstable vessels. Still. I believe Pride of Baltimore (II) looks more like original built "Baltimore clipper" (although the first (doomed) of this name was probably closest :( ). See attached picture of the now and then:

historyposter.jpg.609233836903586eef8709d787617c0b.jpgLynxPlan5_xs.JPG.1484ad971f4fa50bb34e6747747dbcee.JPG

Regarding the transom, yes, it is incorrect in the kit, you need to do something with it to make it look more real. As I do have the original plans from Admiralty (copy of course), as I wrote, this is not the only issue, the overall proportions simply do not match (length, width), none of the deck opening positions matches the original etc etc.... actually, after hours spent over the plans with the ruler and calc I have decided to putt this kit on a shelf.... I am not sure it will ever come to realization. Wish you good luck with yours, she rises up to a beauty!

Thanks Juhu

Once saw Pride of Baltimore I in Baltimore Harbour - then she went and sank. Not seen POBII, but when I next travel to the 'states I would love to.

Gonna press on with this as it's providing lots of little problems, which, by solving I learn. Also, I think that absolute authenticity is obviously impossible - the level of detail at which you 'stop' is always going to be arbitrary - so I have in mind an appearance that evokes the 'romance' of these vessels rather than the rather sterile (to my mind) appearance on the box.

Still, long way to go yet.

Best wishes

Don

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd pop this picture on the forum.

I'm applying the outer planking and can't get the clamps to the new planks as they're bent and glued, so I'm having to pin them as I go. This, of course, leaves holes. I think, ordinarily this shouldn't pose a problem, particularly if, like Ben Lankford in Building First Rate Model Ships From Kits, you're going to fill and sand umpteen times. However, I want to retain the grainy texture so I want to minimize the use of filler.

My solution is to fill the holes with a spile cut from a cocktail stick, apply a tiny amount of PVA and tap in using a large half round file. When the glue's set you can nip them off close and when it comes to sanding they can be made flush. I'm painting the hull so the difference in wood won't be visible.

P1000655.thumb.jpg.5082e41a849f439bd2569e69a1201a3a.jpg

Best wishes to you all

Don

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks

Not much progress over recent weeks due to stroke, end of year assessments, and holidays.

However, thinking ahead - and excuse me if I'm simply being thick - the model plans don't appear to have any scuppers. Would this function have been performed by the gun ports? Also, the plans don't show any gun port covers whereas the Smithsonian model does. Once the exterior planking is finished these issues will start to come up.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom to impart on these issues?

Best wishes to you all

Don

Hi Don,

no scuppers either in her Admiralty plans... But I assume they were there, at least around the lowest main deck section / masts?

I do not believe gun ports would serve as scuppers, or? I would like to learn if it was a practise. Anyway, it seems they were covered by double lids, one down one up, gun protruding through the hole in the middle. I would assume during the sail they would be secured as tight as possible, not to let the water in - and out too! :)

8 minutes ago, Rat-Fink-A-Booboo said:

Hi Juhu

Thanks for the heads up about the lids - I've not seen that. Any Ideas how they might have been handled - y'know, ropes 'n' stuff?

Hi Don,

you can choose - see attachment.

More experienced shall correct me but I would call for the marked option. I assume, on this kind of ship the gun was not retracted fully in and not then elevated as was done on "multideckers". As I learnt, for such an option the bulk wards with no deck above would not allow this. I believe the contemporary era solution was double lid, split horizontaly. When closed, the gun protrudes through the hole in the middle. Sometimes, to save weight, cost, only the lower half of the lid was installed. I have seen mane model featuring this or that, just have not any pic by hand now.... (Does not also well-known MS Syren kit feature this?)

lids.gif

Edited by juhu

Hi Don,

no exact publication, I have just hit the google for the fastest solution. :)

And now I see I should have looked more carefully: Here is the lynx with this type of gunport lids

http://ids.si.edu/ids/deliveryService?id=NMAH-2007-13914

The only thing missing is the centre hole. Or I just cannot imagine how would be the gun secured inside, if this representation is correct

The scuppers could have been leaded pipes also on 1812 privateer I guess... But as said previously, I would not call current Lynx "replica" (= exact copy of the original)

This is the model in the Smithsonian that I mentioned in my earlier post. You are right I suspect about the holes in the gun port covers and the idea about the scuppers is an interesting one. I will consider that when I come to decking

Best wishes everyone

Don

Edited by Rat-Fink-A-Booboo