I need to build a capstan for my mini-mamoli riverboat (1:206) - the information in the plans is insufficient (and what they show doesn't look at all right). It would be tiny but it should be there!

Three things:

- Some of the larger models of paddlewheelers show the capstan bars flat against the deck, and I don't quite understand how that works.

- I am not sure about scale (how long would the capstain bars normally be, how big the capstan in "real life").

-Some old photos show a rope around the capstan, but not what the other end might be connected to...

Thanks for any help! Rebecca

First-time builder

Current build: Mini-Mamoli Mississippi Sternwheeler

On the shelf:

MM: Charles Morgan, La Goleta

MW: Ches. Flattie, Crabbing Skiff

Rebecca,

Because paddlewheel boats had steam power most capstans were powered by a small steam engine below decks under the capstan.  The capstan was used for many things, from the grasshopper td get them off of a sandbar to cranes to lift things onto the boat to . . . you get the idea so the rope would go to whatever the need was.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Rebecca, here is a picture that was in a book about an ocean going steamer....I don't know how similar it would be for a riverboat....(you can see my interpretation of the part that moves the gear there too)

DSC07107-M.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Thanks Sarah, the capstan for the riverboats is much simpler - Frank & John pm'd me with some ideas, and I'll post the results here when I get to it. I decided to work on the pillars & railings on the sides first, while there is still nothing to "break off"  and do the bow fittings last.

First-time builder

On the shelf:

Rebecca,

I'm not sure if those are actually the capstan bars.  Some models they are, in others, they're permanently attached to the deck to give the crew using the capstan some foot hold.  IMO, it's just artistic license for them to be there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, thanks for the clarification. That they are footholds makes sense! I'm going to follow the bigger paddlewheel models and do something to scale (and that will fit!)  - Rebecca

First-time builder

On the shelf:

Sara,

Apologies, but I think Popeye has it right. That is a picture of a hand operated windlass, rather than a capstan, and was used on both sail and steam vessels.

A windlass, which has a horizontal barrel, basically had one job – to bring in the anchor, and hence was situated in the bows. Capstans, with a vertical barrel, could be used for a variety of tasks and might be situated in various positions. There could be several smaller deck capstans on the one ship – especially in the later days of sail, and used for hoisting yards, adjusting sheets, hoisting cargo, etc. The rope, halliard, etc., was usually led to it through a suitably placed block.

Rebecca,

Yes, they sound like foot treads, for purchase, to me.

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Just going off the diagram name and what my plans called out for the HL....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Sara,

I rather thought that was the case. It seems, yet again, that kit instructions are at fault and have used the incorrect term. I can't really understand this, as with a little more thought they could use the right one.

Btw, you're doing well with your HL. I think it's going to be a very good model. :)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.