Prince De Neufchatel by emeneink - Model Shipways

Well then... haven't been on in a couple of months and have found that, well, everything is toast. Sad. But not to beat the already dead horse i'm going to ask you all before reuploading pictures.

Should I go back and repost what I have done, or just pick up where i left off? My gut is telling me everything up till now, as to restore some posterity. it's just a coupl of years worth of stuff, and I hope I remeber it all enough to do it justice.

With that said, welcome back everybody!

Edited by enemeink

welcome back

if you got the time and desire repost whatever you can :)

please read th new guidelines on how to name your topic in tis forum. you should be able to change it by editing your first post :)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/53-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-build-log/

Edited by Adrieke

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Well this is bringing back memories from when i first started this build. hopefully this will make sense as it has been quite a few years since I started this thing.

To start there were some small issues with this kit. 1 of the bulkheads was missing the notch for the mast and had to be added. no big deal looking back, but I was pretty nervous about it.being my first POB and all.

the second issue was after the all the bulkhead pieces were glued together the bottom of the hull was pretty uneven. I had to glue some wood strips into place to help even the hull out for planking.

post-3736-0-77054300-1366385513_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-08559600-1366385714_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-04452700-1366385736_thumb.jpg

next up was cutting the laser cut gunwale to match the print and to give the gun ports an even line across the deck. they were all over the place on this kit. If i hadn't made the change some gun ports would have been too high, and others at the stern would have been partially below the deck.

post-3736-0-47838200-1366385944_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-38502200-1366385953_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-46881700-1366385962_thumb.jpg

I had originally painted the hull black for planking in case there was any gaps in the planking. that way it would show black for depth. but alas my planking skills were terrible and my bond with wood filler was growing. it was at this point when i decided it was time to paint the ship, they way she sailed.

sadly i can only find 1 picture of the final planking before i painted the hull and started to apply the copper plates. Oh how I hated covering the hull with the copper plates....

post-3736-0-22795500-1366387322_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-55039700-1366387328_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-64372400-1366387445_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-72870400-1366387533_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-91178900-1366387546_thumb.jpg

And this is essentially where i am now.

I didn't like the kit supply long boat, so i purchased a cast one from Amati at close to the same scale. i think the supplied kit is 90mm and this one is 105mm and look close to identical. my main issue is that I could bend the wood for the kit cleanly enough at such a small scale. I tried step bending and that didn't work, plus it was time consuming. I will post pictures soon enough. I just need to get some bench time. Maybe this weekend.

Enemeink, Glad to have you back for very selfish reasons. My first scratch build attempt was this craft, so, sentimentally, it's close to me. It looks like you've been able to overcome some terrible manufacturing problems, and your results look very smooth. One of the things I discovered in my research is that there are two long guns also included in the armament. I could never figure out where they would go that would allow for their recoil. There is a model of the Prince in the Smithsonian done by Merritt Edson; he couldn't figure it out either and also left them off his model.  

I think I showed you the bow escutcheon back in version 1.0; I'll do it again when  you get to that point if you'll remind me.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Very nice work. I love the Prince and wish Model Shipways would bring her back. Til they do, following your build will be the next best thing

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, I missed your old log.  I was using it as a guide as I completed mine.  Sadly my log was lost in the data crash too and I have been to busy on my next build (which is completely undocumented) to reload and rewrite it.

Shawn Carden
Fredericksburg, VA

Completed ships: 

MS kit of Armed Virginian Sloop of 1768 (2005)
Two Admiralty style Lexingtons based upon Clay Feldman's SIS Articles (2006-2011)
MS Kit Prince de Neufchatel (2006-2012)

LSS's Fair American (2013)

Harold Hahn's Hannah scratchbuilt, no instructions (2016 - ??)

In Progress: Just restarted after a 7 year break
Future planned: Washington 1776 Galley

• 3 months later...

well it's been awhile. the downside of good weather, or is that the upside? It's starting to cool down so bench time is going to happen more often.

I finally finished the long boat and secured it to the deck.

IMG_2175_zps1adeb11e.JPG

Edited by enemeink
removing broken links

put some more time in this weekend. i managed to add the anchors and tackle. I've added some weights to help straighten out the tackle lines for hauling the anchor. these spools that come from MSW has come crazy kinks in it. anybody have any good tips for straightening the lines. i've been hanging length of string with weights at the end. doesn't work all that great if the line has a light weight object at the end of it, like as cast anchor...

IMG_2220_zps4e9d9480.JPG

IMG_2219_zps061b9184.JPG

IMG_2221_zps9e756762.JPG

Edited by enemeink
removing broken links

• 1 month later...

masting and rigging has finally started. I've been making an effort to work on her for at least 30 minutes a day seems to be getting me somewhere. I worked a little more over the holiday weekend so i was able to finish the assembly of the fore mast and start to get it placed and get the standing rigging placed.

IMG_2406_zpsf96e8f3b.JPG

IMG_2400_zpsca9c6712.JPG

IMG_2398_zpsda1708d9.JPG

IMG_2394_zps29dfaad7.JPG

Edited by enemeink

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...