18th Century Longboat by SRoberts - Model Shipways

Ok, so this will be my first build.  I have decided to go with the 18th Century Longboat due to price, no rigging to really worry about, and the fact that there are so many really good build logs on here to assist me.  Please forgive that I am already a little ways into the build at the time of my starting this log.  I was not sure I wanted to do a build log on my first build, but I figured it would be a really good way for me to learn from all of your feedback and advice.  So here goes.  

I used legos' to square up my bulkheads when attaching them to the keel (please correct me if I use the wrong terminology, still learning), it worked pretty well.  I did break the small piece off of the keel, hopefully my repair is done well enough that it does not cause me problems down the road.  

The only question I have at this point is I read in one of the build logs that the top of the bulkheads should not make a sweeping arc but should be all at the same height, but I looked at several build logs and it appears that mine sweep like many others do.  Input please.  I want this build to be as good as I can make it, I am very detailed and truly a bit OCD with anything I do, serves me well as a quality engineer.  Thanks ahead of time for all your feedback as I go through this first build, I have a lot to learn.

Installed software to get pics from iphone to computer, have to restart, so pictures will follow shortly.

IMG_0491[1].JPG

IMG_0500[1].JPG

IMG_0497[1].JPG

IMG_0496[1].JPG

IMG_0492[1].JPG

Very nice start....:P  Yes there should be a curve to the sheer...or sweeping arc.  I am not sure why anyone would think differently as the plans clearly show it.   Just follow the plans and you will be OK.

Chuck,

I think he was talking about the top of the bulkheads and not necessarily the curved Sheer strake which is clearly marked on the plan.  The sheer definitely has a nice curve to it like you have mentioned but the bulkheads seem to have less and don't necessarily follow the same curve or almost flat depending on how they fit.  At least they did on mine.  Later you cut/sand the top of the bulkheads down to match the curved sheer indicated on the plans if I remember correctly.  The key I think is that the bulkhead frames seat properly down to the inside rabbet edge.

Chuck, is that right?

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Yes, I was referring to the top of the bulkheads, mine are not all at the same height.  I do believe that I fully seated all of the bulkheads onto the keel.  Will the fact that my bulkheads are not at the same height cause me problems down the build seeing that they do get sanded down after the removal of the insides?  I did use white glue so I can take them back off and start over if necessary.  Thank you for your sharing your knowledge with this newbie.  As you suggested I will also take a closer look at the plans and the instructions.

Edited by SRoberts

I have put some strips down the top of the bulkheads to keep things from flexing when I fair the hull and start planking.  I have also started to fair the hull after reading and looking at most of the builds for this model on here and reading a few articles I found on here as well.  I am taking my time and doing the best I can and certainly learning a lot by trial and error.  I have a feeling fairing may not be my forte, but slowly making progress.

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

Everything is looking good so far.  Every so often take a strip of card (think magazine inserts or that paper that junk mail is printed on) and lay is across the bulkheads.  It is flexible but has some strength, unlike regular paper.  That will show will where more material has to be removed.  When it lays flat from the midpoint to the stem and to the stern, you are done fairing.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

It looks great so far. That was the first wooden kit that I ever completed, and I finished it up not long before joining this forum. It's a great starter, and a lot of fun to build.

Under Construction

HMAV  Bounty, Artesania Latina, 1/48 Scale

Completed

18th Century Long Boat, Model Shipways, 1/48 Scale

Drift boat, scratch build, c. 1/12 Scale

Bluenose, Model Shipways, 1/64 Scale