Goose Neck Lamp

• Everyone is probably way ahead of me on this but I thought it worth sharing. I purchased this lamp at Bed Bath Beyond. It's relatively  inexpensive (about $20), very light, gives off no heat and can be easily moved around and bent as needed. For example, if I have a small piece in my vice that needs shaping and my model is a few feet from the vice, I can easily move the piece (after shaping it) and the lamp to the model to see if the part fits. This lamp allows me to shine the light exactly (most of the time) where I need it.387361486_GooseNeckLamp.thumb.jpg.1cd68ad97e86e3249f5aaab55185bdca.jpg

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

• 3 weeks later...

Adequate lighting is absolutely essential, especially for those of us who are not so very young.  Although heat from an incandescent bulb is often useful (especially to the cat), there are other ways to manage that.

I'm fortunate to have an old Luxo architect task lamp from the 1960s.  It's has a 45" reach on a swivel base, and is perfectly balanced and will hold any position without any tightening or loosing of knobs.  It has a porcelain socket,  and so I can install an LED, incandescent, or infrared lamp as desired.   

Edited by Bob Blarney

Luxo lamps are great. I used them for years in my design firm. Everyone had one...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

I use one from IKEA - ten pounds or so. A bit of a narrow beam, but does the job real' nice. 

I don't have a model ship building problem. I can stop any time I want. Let me just build this another one, and then I'll stop, I promise. 

Completed: AL Endeavour longboat, AL Virginia Schooner, OcCre Dos Amigos.

In progress: BB Cutty Sark.

Goose-neck lamps are very useful, indeed, as a concept. However, I found that some products, e.g. the one from IKEA, just does not give enough lumens. They are not designed for our purposes. If you find a model with standard sockets - shy away from models in which you can't change the bulb, you can replace the bulb with more powerful LED ones. There is no worry anymore over overheating.

Personally, I prefer a warm (3200 K) light colour. Multiply the wattage of the LED by 8, that gives you the equivalent to an incandescent bulb.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

The Luxo "draftsman's" lamps are superior to most "gooseneck" desk lamps because you have so much more range of motion and they are easier to position. They also extend above the table top much farther than most goosenecks, which is very useful for rigging work.

Also, if you can find one at a garage sale cheap, the old articulated magnifying lamps with the fluorescent loop light around the large magnifying lens are great for fine detail work.

When I 'google' for LUXO-lamps I get articulated architects' lamps, not gooseneck lamps. That's something else.

They can be bought everywhere, at least here in Europe. There are varieties with ordinary sockets (E27 in Europe) and elongated ones for fluorescent tubes (IKEA made a nice one, which I have, but it is now useless as they had a very unusual fluorescent tube in it - marketing so that you bought from them).

I am still using the architects lamp that I got as a teenager in the late 1970s for my writing desk, but have fitted a large LED-globe to it to give a lot of quite uniform light that still can be directed to where I need it.

One problem with this kind of ariculated lamp is that it needs to be fixed usually to the back or the side of the table/desk. My work-table is framed-in by shelves on three sides, so I had to be somewhat inventive to mount the lamp.

The magnifying lamps on articulated arms have usually the same problem, as you cannot pivot the lens sideways - the link at the end of the arm only allows to tilt and turn the lamp head. So you must mount it somewhere opposite to where you are sitting. I have one mounted to my lathe work-stand and again had to be inventive, as the workstand is onyl 30 cm deep, while these lamps are designed for tables 60 to 70 cm deep.

BTW, I found the magnifying lamps with rectangular lenses more useful than the ones with a round one.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I have the desk mounted XL LED task lamp from the daylight company  (daylightcompany.co.uk) which  I purchased from an Australian distributor for around 200 AUD (143USD) its absolutley superb.

There are videos on YouTube if you wish to see it in action.

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood