Almost a newbie

Hi,

I go by 'zeeprogrammer', 'zee', 'zeep', 'zeepster' and other variations. I will answer to 'hey' but never to 'hey you'.

I've not gotten scratch-building the HMS Beagle out of my mind for some years now but I have virtually no experience.

Sure, I did the plastic 1/96 Revell USS Constitution (years and years ago) but I don't know much more than what a mast is and my wood work is limited to simple balsa airplanes (and none good).

Yes, I made the newbie mistake of jumping in a couple of years ago with a Mamoli model of the Beagle. It now sits unfinished in my cabinet of learning, a combination of cruddy work and the realization it wasn't anything close to a model of the Beagle. (I have the 'Anatomy of the Ship' book which has given me hours of enjoyment.) I'm currently finishing a couple of steam engines and a model of the Albatross DVa aircraft.

My desire to build the HMS Beagle is undiminished.

I now intend to start with a simpler model (perhaps the HMS Bounty Jolly Boat or the Medway) and with this forum and helpful members I may someday achieve my dream. The goal is to learn something about planking and rigging as well as all else related to model ship building.

I retired last year and in preparation for that, my wife and I renovated our house. I now have a shop with a decent lathe and mill and space to pursue my various interests.

I don't expect to start a build log for some time. I have much to learn here and I hope my questions and future experiences will help other newbies.

Thank you for letting me join.

Welcome to MSW, Zee.    I would suggest that you do a build log of your first effort and make it a relatively simple model with not more than one mast.  A build log is the best way get you feedback and answers to questions and you'll make some friends along the way.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Love the pic! Welcome! Don't let go of your dreams of building from scratch. Maybe you have already done so but there are many great and information youtube videos of actual wooden ships being built as bell as models of ships. Gets my juices going.

Thank you for the welcome.

@Mark: Yes, my first project will be a build log. Showing my mistakes teaches me as well as others.  (I've yet to come across a unique mistake.)

@David: The picture is of me and reminds me of the wonder years. The downside (sort of) is that people tend to think I'm younger than I am. I turn 66 in a couple of months. Still young! But older.

Boy this forum really sucks you in. I've been reading and reading and reading. The helpfulness and friendliness is awesome not to mention the fantastic workmanship.

I've been researching beginners kits and am about to pull the trigger on my first purchase. As I said in my intro post, I gave up on my ill-fated foray into model ship building of the Beagle because it was a crud job but also because the model wasn't anything like the Beagle.

I'm not a stickler for historical accuracy (certainly not at this time) but the model should at least resemble what I'm striving for.

But now I've run into an existence issue. I was considering the Bounty Jolly Boat but came across a statement that the Bounty did not have one. Further, I see a model kit of the jolly boat and a launch with both stating they were used by Bligh as a result of the mutiny. They're obviously note same, the jolly is single-masted while the launch has two masts.

So which was it?

On another note...the articles and resources posted by several people are exceedingly helpful. Planking, painting, rigging etc. It would be nice if someone had the heart to talk about glue. Not just the types and uses but detailed 'how-to'. I read a thread the other day (Old Collingswood's Black Pearl) and was struck by how well all the gluing went (no stains, seepage, etc.). Surprising to me (given my crummy skills) was the attachment (gluing of) finished parts to finished parts. I never had luck with that and am curious to know the tips and secrets.

But all that may be for another time. Right now I'm anxious to buy a beginner's kit. The Bounty Launch or the Bounty Jolly Boat? Recommendations as to vendors are also welcome.

Thanks very much!

I have no insight on which of those two kits is more historically accurate, but if you purchase a kit through Model Expo, you get free replacement parts, should you need them.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thank you Chris. That's good to know.

I finally found a bit more information. From the Pacific Union College, I got this..."During the events of the mutiny on the Bounty, three boats were launched: first the jolly boat which was found to be rotten through with worms and would certainly have sunk, then the cutter which also leaked and simply would not hold the large number of loyalists who preferred to go with Bligh, and finally the launch. . . .". The rest of the description had to do with how little room there was left in the launch that was meant for at most 15 people but carried 19 and that such a craft was meant for short distances.

Sounds like the launch is the way to go. A quick check shows several builds and comments here so first a bit more fun perusing.

Once I get a kit I'll start a build log and then the fun begins (i.e. fun in the many questions I'll ask that I'm sure have been asked before.)

Woo woo!

No launch or jolly boat. I went with the '18th Century Longboat' from Model Expo. I got the combo. Even though I already have the tool kit, it's almost a freebie versus buying the kit and paints separately. Besides, my old tool kit was miss-used building the 1/16 scale ModelExpo Albatross DVa.

The thing that triggered me was finding Chuck has a practicum on building this model. That and realizing my goal is to learn to plank, rig, etc. and I shouldn't worry about historical anything at this point.

From my model steam engine building, I don't much care to buy combo kits of anything. For example, when I need an end mill or drill bit, I've found buying the specific one I need tends have higher quality than sets where most of the bits and pieces are never even used. But sometimes, especially when starting out, I'm okay with it.

Now to await delivery. Woo hoo!

BTW I just realized no one knows my name. While I go by 'zeeprogrammer' or 'zee', 'zeep', 'zeepster', my name is Carl Phillips. Happy to meet you all.

I'll finish off with a bit of "why I'm here"...

I was a military brat whose father married a German woman. We were stationed in Hawaii (I was there when it became a state), France, Germany, and then the states. My German grandparents lived in Munich and I spent summers there. Which meant many trips to the Deutches Museum. It didn't hurt that Opi was a machinist. The upshot is...as a kid I was exposed to steam engines, locomotives, sailing ships, not to mention most anything military World War II and prior (I'm not into jets). My favorite eras to learn about is the industrial revolution and World War I.

I'm also prone to try and get little tunes into people's heads. "Found a peanut" is a favorite. 😁

Lastly, I'm in southeast Pennsylvania (West Chester)...anyone nearby?

Carl,

Add your signature name to your profile then it will appear with every post.  Same goes for your build log(s).  ;)

As for gluing... many of (maybe most?) put a small amount on a piece of wax paper, maybe a small plastic cup, that type of thing and they use toothpicks (small end) to apply the glue.  If the end is too big, it can be trimmed down.  I use this method for the glues I use (PVA and CA).   It also works for epoxy.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the welcomes.

Before I start a build log (and likely break all the rules for posting photos, etc.), I thought I'd trash my intro and experiment a bit.

A member suggested updating my signature line but from what I can tell, I have to have 10 or more posts before I'm allowed to do that.

I expect to title the build log something like "18th Century Longboat by zeeprogrammer - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48"

I was surprised by the size of the model. Quite small for me. Patience will be (is) my nemesis so we'll see if my ham sized hands can be trained.

This will be a slow slow process getting started and making progress. Since I retired last year I've found myself being asked to play work in my wife's garden and with summer approaching there will be many demands on my time. Not a bad thing...but it takes away from 'me'.

I've spent the last several weeks just reading this forum. The skill and expertise is awesome. Most important for a newbie like me is the helpfulness and politeness. I will depend on that with many many questions.

I know there are no stupid questions, but I'll try my best. :)

And here, hopefully, is a photo of the box.

1_TheBox.thumb.JPG.2f3a732217a32f88a5e78a4e24dcf933.JPG

Cool. I read that 1600x1200 is a good size but I may go smaller.

Thanks everyone for contributing to this wonderful forum. I look forward to living here for a long long while.

As a temporary signature it goes something like this...

zeeprogrammer/zeep/zee (Carl)

Will answer to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.

To work. To work.

P.S. "To work. To work" comes from the movie "The Great Race" which, as a kid, had an influence that helped make me an engineer.

Carl,

Start a build log with this in the kit area instead of here as this is for introductions by new members.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: