BUILDING CHAPERON FROM THE MODEL SHIPWAYS KIT

$13.99 on CD – Free Delivery – US Only

$15.99 on Flash Drive – Free Delivery – US Only

I built this model starting in 2009 and completed it in 2010 from the newly released kit from Model Shipways – part of Model Expo.   The construction of the model was documented in a series of six articles in Ships in Scale Magazine (SiS) starting with the Sept./Oct. 2009 issue, culminating with the July/August 2010 issue.

Over the years, modelers have contacted me about supplying copies of various parts of the series they were missing and unable to obtain.  Some of the back issues were out of print for some time and when Ships in Scale went out of business in 2018 all the back issues containing the articles were no longer available.

Scanning magazine copies isn’t legal as SiS owned the copyright to the articles as published in the magazine though I own the copyright to the original text and photographs.  Each time I got a request I had to copy the text files and photographs and email them to the modeler.  I like to help other modelers, but this was taking a lot of time and energy, so I decided to take the time and put the series together into a digital book.

The digital book contains the complete series as it was written. The magazine’s editor moved some parts of the assembly sequence around to fit space considerations without worrying about them being out of sequence. The correct sequence has been restored. I decided to double space the text for ease of use in the shop as the PDF format isn’t like a magazine where the number of pages is limited.

In addition to being back in the original sequence, the photographs are all color rather than B/W – a big help when looking for details of construction.  I have added a bit of information at the end showing two great models of Chaperon built by John Fryant.  One is scratch built and the other is from this kit. 

The CD is only $13.99 with free delivery.  A flash drive for those w/o disc drives is $15.99 with free delivery.  Sorry but the free delivery is for US only and payable only by PayPal – at least for the immediate future.  The CDs or flash drives ship in a mailer box for protection.  Due to high shipping costs to other countries, a reduced file size PDF – but still very good image quality - will be emailed to non-US purchasers.  Sorry but no sales to Russia or China except to full NRG members.

Contact me by PM if you have questions or to order.  Provide your email and I will provide mine.  I can send a PayPal invoice with my PayPal address.

CD - CHAPERON-smallest.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Darn Kurt, this would have come in very handy when I was building the Dumas Creole Queen from a half or less built kit. I had to improvise on some things because there were quite a bit missing from the kit contents I received. I imagine this would work on any paddle wheeler as far as suggestions and tricks for an easier build.

mike

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered my copy and it's fantastic. Definitely a great reference for steamboat enthusiasts. I wish this kit would get more attention than the crappy, toy-like European "riverboat" kits.

Kurt,

I received my copy of  "Chaperon - Building the Kit - by Kurt Van Dahm" today. This will come in extremely helpfull when I start my Chaperon build.

Thanks,

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum