hello all

kirk

Greetings all. new to the site and happy to be here. i'm not exactly new to ship building or modelling, but there is always more to learn and i have a million questions! i tend to respond to subjects aesthetically and thus my interests cross many disciplines, eras and subjects. i build air, armour, space, sci fi etc but my real passion lies in the ship yard.  i have typically built in 1/700 scale with WW ll IJN as a subject- there's just something about those giant pagoda towers and aircraft carriers- and have a few that i am currently working on. i look forward to sharing some of the process with any who are interested. i have yet to rig a ship and i think that is where a great deal of my focus will be in regards to the questions i have.

A new area of interest is in paper model kits. studio time has been extremely limited the last couple of years with work, family and the typical excuses so i wanted to be able to build without the need for fillers, airbrushing etc. something i could literally do at the kitchen table and encourage my 8 year old to participate in. i have recently purchased a couple of JSC 1/400 scale kits and think that i have a reasonable shot at deciphering the instructions- however i see a bunch of questions and assistance rearing their heads in the near future.

i have included a couple of photos from recent builds of 1- the Yamashiro, the fuso (nearing completion) and a couple of others showing scale and detail shots. looking forward to sharing my work and hearing back from those interested.

IMG_4503.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_0496 2.27.20 PM.jpg

IMG_0482 2.25.30 PM.jpg

IMG_0501 2.25.30 PM.jpg

IMG_0450 2.25.30 PM.jpg

IMG_0575 2.27.20 PM.jpg

wow!  very impressive.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Amazing detail for ships that are that tiny.  Or is that a 6" diameter coin???? :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gidday Kirk and a warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

There are a few card modelers on this site.

If you do a search in the build logs you may find your kits listed.

What a wonderful idea to have your son as an apprentice. 

You will find a wealth of knowledge here in all mediums and scales.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavours.

Mark.