I am getting to the point in my build where I am starting to plan the deck. Looking at the plans, there is no capstan and no captain’s wheel, but there are four grates along the deck. This seems a little excessive to me, and I’m considering leaving 2 of them off and putting other things on deck (like a capstan and wheel)...below are a few pics of which grates I am thinking of leaving off. I was considering putting the captain wheel on the stern most upper deck and leaving that grate off. Putting the capstan on the middle deck in front of the cabin, and then leaving off the grating on the bow deck just because it seems like once the railing is installed all of the rigging, it would “crowd” and be a tripping hazard. Lol

are the chosen locations for the 2 accessories correct? I assumed the captain wheel directly over the rudder for “less moving parts” in real life and the capstan just seemed to fit the best there. Or would it look best in the bow deck closer to the anchors?

8B61229B-F751-4242-A315-44081820816A.jpeg

A50E6D0D-E285-475D-B4EA-2AAD075E4A81.jpeg

339A1E59-22C0-4BD8-9494-D596D3980683.jpeg

Hi, I have the original San Francisco, and my deck layout is slightly different to the second version. Mine has a much smaller grating at the stern and bow. The San Fran didn't have a ship's wheel, it had a whipstaff (a simple tiller configuration that was in use before the more complicated wheel). The little cabin is where the helmsman in control of the whipstaff would stand and be able to see out through the front (not that he would be able to see much anyway!)

There is a capstan under the deck overhang at the bow.

I hope this helps you.

sanfran251.jpg

sanfran250.jpg

sanfran248.jpg

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

Thank you

when you say the actual San Francisco, was this an actual ship? I have tried searching and didn’t come across anything. I got the impression it was just a ship made for a model and has no historic significance 

As far as I know the San Francisco is a fictional ship and didn't actually exist.

What I mean by 'original' is that the kit manufacturer Artesania Latina has made two versions of the ship - the San Francisco and San Francisco II. Mine is the first version. It has differences from the later versions - the main one is that it was double planked and the beak was not made from separate parts. there are also some differences in the deck layout.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

There wouldn't have been a ship's wheel on a vessel of that time period.  They would have used a tiller and it would have been under the stern castle.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

So if I have this understood correctly, the helmsman would stand inside the little cabin, and thus the whip staff would be in there as well? It would not be visible on the actual deck?

Man, should have did my research before I ordered a few things...there goes 5 bucks wasted on a ship wheel haha

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen 

Here a picture I found on the internet. Number 15 shows the guy operating the whipstaff. Your build is looking good.

Cutaway galleon.jpg

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

I appreciate the input, since you guys seem to know your stuff...I was considering putting blocked rigging on the cannons for a little added detail. Studying this picture, I am assuming that the blocked rigging on cannons was also not around for the galeon ships?