Viking longboat by dvlp47 - Artesania Latina

Here goes! My first shot at building. I had purchased the AL Scottish Maid and quickly realized this is by no means a beginner project, thus it has been put aside. The Viking was actually started aprox. 6 months ago and for reasons unknow it sat gathering dust. First picture is obviously the hull and my work station.

Being my first build log, my etiquette may be off please feel free to correct me

David 

HOsjCMPmT4q7b12vRotpGg.jpg

You WILL make mistakes! All of us have. Fortunately, wood is more forgiving of such mistakes than some other media. In the end, you will find satisfaction in your completed model, warts and all.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 2 months later...
On 4/4/2019 at 6:26 AM, dvlp47 said:

I have finally figured out the reason I keep backing off on the build is I'm afraid I'm going to make a mistake. From what I have read that is expected in the beginning!

Mistakes are how you learn (it’s how I learn at any rate).  You just have to fix them the best way you can and keep going.

Have fun with your build.  

If it’s not perfect, that’s perfectly okay.  The odds are that the only one who will know that there is a mistake is you.  The important part is to have fun and to finish the model, don’t give up or start over.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

When I first looked at your log I thought you were doing a longboat (the Vikings did have them - a four-oar one was known as a faering) but having checked Artesania Latina's site I see what you're building is in fact a long ship, a much more ambitious project. There are quite a few  build logs here of viking longships, which should help you with your own - they're often well worth referring to.

In the meantime, just jump in and get started. Of course you'll make mistakes, but each mistake is a learning experience and (hopefully) you won't repeat that mistake in your next build. I say hopefully, because in my own experience I have repeated mistakes far too many times despite having vowed I wouldn't - very embarrassing. But that's part of the process as well.

And yes, have fun. That's why we do this. And you'll find as you gain experience your quality improves and you open up new and wondrous opportunities for much better mistakes 😁. Just kidding. 

Take lots of photos. You'll find everybody is very supportive - and very happy to answer what may seem to you to be "dumb" questions, but are also part of the learning process.

Steven

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/1/2019 at 12:27 PM, dvlp47 said:

Here goes! My first shot at building. I had purchased the AL Scottish Maid and quickly realized this is by no means a beginner project, thus it has been put aside. The Viking was actually started aprox. 6 months ago and for reasons unknow it sat gathering dust. First picture is obviously the hull and my work station.

Being my first build log, my etiquette may be off please feel free to correct me

David 

HOsjCMPmT4q7b12vRotpGg.jpg

I have recently bought this one on eBay to build. I am certainly hoping your entry indicates you are now going forward with this build and will post pictures.