'39 Ford "China Girl" gasser by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - AMT - PLASTIC

Dennis,

Sorry if I was unclear about the paint can clamp method. I type at about 1/4 the speed I think so sometimes I end up leaving complete thoughts out of a comment. But that is exactly what
I was referring to.

What resolution do you need to print a decal at? I was under the impression an inkjet printer was 300 dpi regardless of what the "specs" say.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

hey there Sam....    I have an HP F2480.....I believe the max DPI on it is 600.   I have been dealing with a transparency issue  using the decal maker,  so I set it to max.  I did some digging a while ago,  and I found that there was suppose to be an upgrade for the program.......turned out,  it was just an expanded set of decal images.   setting the DPI doesn't cure the problem though.   decals printed on clear paper disappear when laid over darker colors.

in some instances,  I use white decal paper,  only if there is white in the image,  and I can only apply it to a white background.  a way to get around this,  is to change the background around the image,  matching the color that being used on the model.  this works very well for numbers ans names,  especially if the color is neutral........harder for off colors and pastels.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I'm using a Canon PIXMA MG7520 with a DPI of 9600 (horizontal) x 2400 (vertical) and 6 individual ink cartridges (Cyan, Yellow, Magenta, Grey, Black and a double black for plain printing) for both my photos and decals.  (Also has a Scan, Copy, and "Cloud" feature)

There was a decal company, may have been Fred Caddy, when I was doing a lot of NASCAR commissions that provided a white background decal for their larger markings.

you could try something like that, of course it would mean a lot of close cutting work

then you were lucky J........I couldn't find anyone who could replicate the Revell Cutty Sark decals.   everyone had an excuse........can't do gold......can't do white.   I found one guy,  but he gave me the run around.  that's when I found the decal program.......I still ended up paint penning the depth markers though.  what a time I had with that model......even the sheet I got from Revell was old and had micro cracked.  I should explore other avenues.  I've done that with some of the decals that had white in the image.  yea...it's a pain.

I'll have to pull out the manual for the printer........either that,  or I need to upgrade ;)   mine scans and copies........don't think I need a cloud feature......I do that pretty much on my own  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Denis

Just catching up again on your many projects.  I'm constantly amazed at just how fast you can work and how easy you make everything look.

I struggle to keep pace, but boy, oh boy, that gasser of yours sure looks nice!

Well done!

Cheers

Patrick 

I think the admiral has used the cloud........it's hard for some of us 'older dogs' to embrace technology.  I keep all my stuff on memory sticks  ;) 

thanks Patrick :)   I guess you could say that I'm making up for my forties.  for a time there I did no modeling....just too busy with family and home.  the first model I picked up when I started back up again,  was the Cutty Sark,  my second attempt at the Revell kit.  it's been a blur ever since  ;)    I'm glad I got back into it though......I've met so many fine folk.  joining this site was the icing on the cake!

the weather is getting better........I have so many projects that I held off on because of major sanding and painting tasks.  I'm able to use the garage again,  so the itch is becoming too hard to scratch.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: