San Juan Nepomuceno's ship's boat by stickyfinger - Artesania Latina - 1:25

It's my time to try and keep regular updates on this build. I believe the kit I selected is a great start for someone who has never built model ships, and I really want to give as much documentation as I can. Maybe I can help someone!

I can't find much information about this boat. According to Artesania Latina it's the captains boat of the San Juan Nepomuceno. I would appreciate if anyone knows more about it.

I'm sorry about my poor english in advance. Let's get going! I attached a picture of the model kit.MVIMG_20190409_105835375.thumb.jpg.7b8e8b4c990a8d202ae90c95dee79ad6.jpg

IMG_20190409_105238373.jpg

Good luck!

Regards.

End: Bryg corsair occre, Black Pearl Hachette, Scottish maid artesania, BKA 1125

In build: Vasa deagostini, Dwunastu Apostołów deagostini, Hms FLY amati Novik modelik, spitfire airfix,

Wait for build: hms alert shipyard, orp kujawiak wak, hms Beagle occre, thermopyle revell, few JSC models,

So I started cutting out the keel and frame. I sanded the grooves on them and dryfitted all of it. When the frames were in place I noticed the keel is slightly bent. I disassembled everything and I'm trying to flatten the keel now.. 

Don't think the keel will be a problem. As long as the frames are aligned..?

IMG_20190410_132533801.jpg

IMG_20190410_130818852.jpg

Do you know anyone with kids?  Most of them play (or have played) with Lego blocks. The big ones are very useful to fit the bulwarks in a 90° angle to the false keel. Clasp them on the keel and the bulwark and wait for the glue to dry. Also a build stand comes in handy and is easy to make.

Cheers

Pieter

Edited by peveka

Some much wood so little time ...

Current builds: Nulli Cedo, an 18th century Dutch war clog,   HMS Bellona

You can straighten your keelplate with a (steam) iron. Carefully “over” bending the wood in oppositie direction of the curve when the iron has heated the wood. You will see this works perfectly when doing this gentle...

The keel straightened out almost perfectly. I just finished glueing the bulwarks. I'm hoping I won't have a problem with the slight curve later on. Can barely see it..

Now I sanded the grooves for the next part and dry fitted it. I need to go get some more wood glue, because the one I had was partly dried out.

IMG_20190414_141845261.jpg

IMG_20190414_135053994.jpg

IMG_20190414_140727768.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This little boat presents little problems that although fixable, are infuriating. Those glossy catalogue sequences obfuscate more than they reveal. No plans of course. I'll be following this in parallel; best of luck to you!

Edit: the Captain was Don Cosme Damián de Churruca y Elorza. He died during the battle of Trafalgar after showing enormous bravery. This kit is very close in design to the Bounty's boat, also by AL.

Nika.

Edited by Nikiforos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Really looking forward to observe how you overcome the challenges I endured trying to get this going. I named it the SS Purgatory after days of fighting with it. AL's big problem with these kits were a lack of scale plans, but as they're bust, no hope of salvation on that front.

Best wishes,