LARGE SCALE WARSHIP MODELS: from Kits to Scratch Building

by Kerry Jang

Seaforth Publishing, 2019

19.5 x 25.3 cm format

110 pages

color illustrations

Suggested retail: GBP 25.00

Verdict: Great tips -- and not just for large scale models!

lswm.jpg.65f45cc5854d7c9208836b651813c409.jpg

I have known of Kerry Jang for many years and knew that he is a modeler of no mean skills, so I was eager to have a look at his new book, Large Scale Warship Models. Happily, it turns out that Kerry is not only a great modeler but has some pretty good writing chops, too. So in addition to the copious amounts of eye candy present in its pages, Large Scale Warship Models is also a pleasure to read. Kerry's writing style is clear and touched with occasional dashes of humor. I especially appreciated his comment about the "sweet talking, gifts and treats along with the occasional pout" needed to get one his enormous models accepted as home decor.

I actually find the title of the book slightly misleading. It is indeed about large scale warship models, but of course many large scale kits exist for non-warships as well, and Kerry's methods are equally valid for both kinds of models. Many of the techniques that Kerry describes would also be just as useful for small scale models as for large ones, things such as scratch building with styrene or airbrushing techniques. The title also doesn't say anything about RC, but there is an entire chapter on selecting and installing RC gear. So there is really a little something for everyone in Large Scale Warship Models.

Kerry leaves no stone unturned on his subject. After an introduction on the subject of large scale models, including pros and cons of building in large scale, the rest of the book includes chapters on kit reviews, tools, construction, fittings, painting, and a chapter on "Final Assembly and Finishing Touches" that covers rigging, decals, and displays. Naturally, since the book is about building large scale models, the lion's share of page space is devoted to that aspect of the topic. Individual construction chapters are devoted to the hull and running gear, underdecks and decks, the aforementioned installation of RC gear, superstructures and deck houses, and lastly fittings and other details The inclusion of 187 photos in the main body of text makes Kerry's descriptions easy to grasp, and the book also includes a gallery featuring several of Kerry's exceptional models. A short list of relevant suppliers and publications wraps things up.

As stated previously, I think that builders in any scale would find much useful material in Large Scale Warship Models. I simply don't have enough space in my small house to display anything like one of Kerry's models, but I did find myself repeatedly thinking as I read, "Hmm -- that's a good idea. I'll have to remember that one!" I think that interested readers who decide to purchase this book will find themselves frequently thinking the same thing, even if their models are only of the small scale variety.

CDC

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Richard,

The exact range isn't specified, but the examples in the book range from 1/24 to 1/96. Now, 1/48 to 1/96 scale is not considered "large scale" for stick-and-string, but for modern warships the more usual scales are 1/200 or smaller. The hull of HMS CHARYBDIS (F75), pictured on the cover, is 62" long in 1/72 scale (over 5 feet), so yeah it's pretty large.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane