Hi all!

I am currently building Artesania Latina's L'Hermione kit.  I have already replaced the deck planks with boxwood, and using Swiss Pearl for the wall planks that cover the gun ports on the inside of the ship.  I am really not into painting the ship as I really like the look of natural wood instead.

I plan on planking the hull above the wales with either boxwood or Alaskan ceder.  I haven't decided yet.  I hear both choices are excellent.  My question concerns what to use for below the wales.  I am split between either continuing with a light color (boxwood or Alaskan Ceder), or use a darker colored wood to give the ship a more of a 2 toned appearance.  I cannot decide because I am not sure what kind of dark colored wood is good (and looks good) for hull planking.

So, what dark colored wood species are good for hull planking? Also, where would a good place online to get some if I decide to go that route?   I do not have the means to mill my own wood :(.  Lastly, what are your thoughts of keeping the hull fully planked in a light colored wood (boxwood, Alaskan Ceder), or having a 2 tone top light, bottom dark color scheme?

Thanks for your opinions!!

Jeff

No problem.

I am early into the build, but I do have something to show at least...

20190716_220034.thumb.jpg.c702d75fec0958d25aa7227ace5cda9b.jpg20190716_215955.thumb.jpg.20edf4e2599cb01dd0cb7aeab7cf7497.jpg

I am currently building the other side to complete this step. As you can see, I have removed the tops of the bulkheads because to me, they stuck out too far and were not very accurate. 

I hope this gives you a better idea of what I have so far.

Thanks!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff, I’m like you and prefer to use different woods rather than paint.   Woods that are available in strips are walnut, cherry and mahogany.  You can also take a wood like pear and stain it.

I’m doing the same on my Pegasus and La Renommee builds.  For Pegasus, since it’s copper plated, I went with a black lower hull (just used kit walnut), pear stained walnut for the upper hull, with boxwood stained blue and red heart for accents.  For my Renommee, I’m planning to use walnut for the lower hull and cherry for the upper hull and deck (and masts).  I found some cherry veneer sheets and dowels at Woodcraft, and am going to use the lighter cherry on the deck and darker for upper hull.

Pear is a nicer wood to work with than walnut, and takes stains well.  Still have to make sure you get the stain even, which can be tricky on bigger areas.  I actually like the look of walnut and darker hulls generally, though I know a lot of people prefer lighter hulls planked with woods like boxwood.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike,

Thank you for the great reply!

Your thoughts really helped to answer my question.  I think I will go with a light colored wood, boxwood/Alaskan Ceder, for the gun deck, and walnut for the lower hull. I will paint the wales black.  The wales, I hope, will be the on only thing I will paint.

I would like to check out cherry for my next build as it seems swiss pearl is hard to find in the US right now. 

Thank you very much for the help!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I used cherry below the wales on my Dos Amigos and quite liked it. I used swiss pear above the wales. I love the contrast. I too hate to paint wood, although it did cover up a mediocre at best planking job on my earliest build.

I look forward to seeing what you do.

Edited by bigcreekdad
clarification