Hello from the one part of Michigan that isn't near water.

Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here for a few weeks, and have learned quite a bit. My name is Steve and I live in the Lansing Michigan area, that is Farm Country!, But for most of my life I have been around ship and the sea. My father was a career Navy man, so we lived near both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, as well as Lake Michigan when he was stationed at Great Lakes, when he retired, we moved to the small town of Christmas in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, on the shores of Lake Superior. It was along those same shores on November 10th, 1975 that I was hitch hiking home from wrestling practice in a blinding snowstorm, later that evening we would here on the radio that the Edmund Fitzgerald had sunk about 120 miles away from where we were. Later on in life I would work in building and painting anchor windlass's, mooring winches, davit arms and cranes for the U.S. Navy, and then in a shipyard. So I guess that's where my interest in this hobby comes from. I have several kits that I would like to build, with the Pacific Northwest Lumber trade in mind. I will be starting with some smaller work boats and working up to a bigger build. I have some experience with Narrow Gauge Model Railroading, and I've built some structures, but those of course don't have rigging... 

Edited by Shantyboy
clarity

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

As you are interested in the Pacific Northwest lumber world, check out the old yellow box Model Shipways Forester. She’s a 4 masted lumber schooner. I’ve always wanted to build her myself but I have too many kits stacked up now. There is one on eBay today with a $29 current bid.

• 3 weeks later...