octagon portion of a yard/mast

looking in the download section of the site, i found the article ¨Making a mast (or spars) from square stock¨

i need to make an octagon portion of a yard but i dont understand the 2-3-2 thing i saw in the article.  can anybody here explain that to me?  point me to where to find a chart, template, or any other tool to help me here?  i remember reading about that some time ago, but now that i want to do the yards i realize i am lost.  

thanks for the help!

Juan,

The "2-3-2" rule refers to the correct proportions to mark on the sides of your square stock in order to get the correct octagonal shape on the finished spar.  If you mark a line 2/7th of the width of the square stock along each side of the of the piece and then cut the 45 degree angles to those lines, you should end up with a good actagonal shape.  These proportions aren't exact, but are very close.

John

A more accurate proportion is 7-10-7. Another way of saying this is that the width across the spar when square at any point is 24 parts. Measure in 7 parts of the 24 from each edge and this will, when planed off at 45 degrees, give you a perfect octagonal cross-section.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Here still information: octagon portion of a yard can be done on the lathe of such preparations

post-215-0-28435800-1368183949_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

tried to mark the yards for the 7-10-7  or the 2-3-2 proportions but i could not do it on a 5 mm wide square stock.  i guess i will try it by eye.  will know how well calibrated are my eyeballs.  is that how you do it Garward?  judging by eye and experience?  any tips are wellcome..

Octahedral preparations and yards become by the sizes specified on drawings. The method of production of octahedral preparations applied by me allows to supervise their size (for example, side width) with an accuracy of 0,1 mm.

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

ok.  found the template for 7-10-7 proportions on page 8 of the document ¨Planking Tutorial DRAFT r6.pdf ¨, located in the building, framing, planking section of the forum.  its pinned under the name

Planking instruction/tutorial by jack nastyface

here the link:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/353-planking-instructiontutorial-by-jack-nastyface/

One way to mark out small spars is to take a strip of card stock and mark the 7-10-7 proportions on it's edge to the maximum spar diameter. As you mark along the spar, turn the card at an angle so the outermost marks coincide with the edges of the foursquare as it tapers. Pencil the inner marks on the flats at intervals. Make sure that the pencil point is very fine! That will be sufficient guide to cut the octagon accurately.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

At many hardware and some auto  parts stores you can buy octagon nuts in many sizes.  I put one at each end of the dowel and file a perfect octagon each time.  If unable to get a nut with a large enough dia to fit the dowel, I reduce the dowel to the smaller dia for about a 1/4  length of the dowel then put on the nut.

Seems to work for me.

Tom

Edited by twintrow

• 1 month later...

An example of an octagon cut using the method I've described is shown here. The overall length of this windlass at 1:48 scale is about 4".

post-635-0-20825100-1372779063_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-38689500-1372779075_thumb.jpg

The low areas are the basic windlass. Juan Carlos. The high areas are all thin wood added on afterwards. It's how the original was built: these wear areas can be replaced.

Juan,

The reason for 2-3-2 or 7-10-7 is geometry, specifically triangles.

post-1153-0-28511800-1373159872_thumb.jpg

A squared + B squared = C squared.  In the above diagram you want to shave off the corners (A and B) so that the remaining side © is equal to D.   (2x2)+(2x2)= 4+4=8

D=3 so 3x3=9

Close

(7x7) + (7x7) = 49 + 49 = 98

10 x 10 = 100

closer

Then there are hexes.  :-|

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)