18th Century Armed Longboat by SomethingIsFishy - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24 - Small - first build

A bit more…

IMG_4825.jpeg.02fc6f772b93ec3685667d444c203909.jpeg

And a question: the plans show the horse below the tiller. This doesn’t make sense to me, seems like it would interfere with the rigging on the horse. I think I read something about it somewhere in somebody’s build log but I don’t remember whose log it was. I think I want to make the horse taller so that it is above the tiller… your thoughts?? Thanks!

18 hours ago, SomethingIsFishy said:

the plans show the horse below the tiller

The plans may be wrong if the contemporary plan ZAZ7322 in the RMG Collections is correct which shows what I think is the horse above the tiller.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

18 hours ago, SomethingIsFishy said:

This doesn’t make sense to me

It doesn't make sense to anybody.

However, the Medway model shows a horse barely above the seat.

d4058_5gc.jpg.d23799075b8a6095b390daa8fe9b6a96.jpg

This can be a very puzzling hobby.

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

2 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

It doesn't make sense to anybody.

However, the Medway model shows a horse barely above the seat.

d4058_5gc.jpg.d23799075b8a6095b390daa8fe9b6a96.jpg

This can be a very puzzling hobby.

This is basically what the instructions show. The horse is just above the cap rail in front of the transom, and the tiller passes over the horse…

I really appreciate the feedback!

I think, since I am not trying to replicate any specific boat and therefore don’t have a good reason to follow the directions when they don’t seem to make sense, I am going to put the horse above the tiller. Perhaps the imaginary sailors that will sail this boat will appreciate the change…

One more question: I found a video on YouTube by Bruce Algar of his ALB build. He has the horse above the tiller, and mounted to the top of the transom. I’m wondering if I should mount mine to the transom, or make it taller and mount it to the cap rail in front of the transom. It looks a bit weaker to me with it mounted to the transom… I don’t know how much force is on the horse, but it seems like mounting it to the cap rail would be more robust… again I am grateful for your thoughts!!!

1 hour ago, SomethingIsFishy said:

I am going to put the horse above the tiller.

I do sometimes think "on my boat I'd do it like this". And then do it my way.

One more question

Probably in the corner of the knee, like this:

Shot0004.jpg.ff6dbb98260b3ed5410f1f7cd753b219.jpg

I would also keep the tiller just above the transom so the horse isn't too tall, put a slight bow in the horse and bend it's 'legs' so that it is vertical above where it goes through the knee. But that's just how I'd do it. ;)

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

I think, since I am not trying to replicate any specific boat and therefore don’t have a good reason to follow the directions when they don’t seem to make sense, I am going to put the horse above the tiller.

(The following may be an exaggeration)...... There are a thousand discrepancies when comparing modern plans and contemporary plans, and hundreds between contemporary plans and contemporary models as well.  Regarding contemporary models, many have been refurbished/repaired over the past 200 to 300 years so a little care needs to be taken in relying on these gorgeous pieces of art.   Common sense is often forgotten so good for you not to ignore it.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU