18th Century Armed Longboat by SomethingIsFishy - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24 - Small - first build

On 8/21/2019 at 9:13 PM, SomethingIsFishy said:

Starboard fairing is almost there, and the port bow filler is shaped and glued into place... I'm done for tonight...

Did you craft or was there an included kit part that needing shaping for your bow filler? 

13 hours ago, SomethingIsFishy said:

Planking sure does take a while… I’ve found that if you don’t leave the wet planks clamped in place until they’re fully dry they won’t hold their shape…

I am making progress though…

Are you gluing wet planks? Or shaping them then gluing?

14 hours ago, SomethingIsFishy said:

Planking sure does take a while… I’ve found that if you don’t leave the wet planks clamped in place until they’re fully dry they won’t hold their shape…

An inexpensive hot air gun will speed up the drying process and I find it holds its shape as well or better than air drying.  I THINK it has something to do with setting the elasticized lignan in the wet wood.   There are far more knowledgeable members regarding the chemistry and the whys and why nots on this.

Wood of course swells so gluing it before it is completely dry is problematic as it will shrink as it dries.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Looking Good!

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 10:23 PM, SomethingIsFishy said:

Got the rabbets cut on the bow half of the false keel. Was a lot easier to keep it even than I thought it would be...

IMG_4546.JPG

Hello, I am just starting on this model. I see you tapered the rabbit on the false keel. I was going to cut it as a square notch, which is what I have always thought of as a "rabbit". Is tapered the better choice here for a ship kneel? It appears that spot of the false keel will be where the "bottom" plank meets the keel, so, tapered would seem to make more sense now that I see what you did.

I am NOT criticizing, I am asking, I know NOTHING about what I am doing - lol! So, any advice or help would be appreciated.

Edited by Frank NIchols

First build - in process: Model Shipways - 18th Century Armed Longboat - Scale 1:24

• 6 months later...
On 7/30/2022 at 11:28 AM, Frank Nichols said:

Hello, I am just starting on this model. I see you tapered the rabbit on the false keel. I was going to cut it as a square notch, which is what I have always thought of as a "rabbit". Is tapered the better choice here for a ship kneel? It appears that spot of the false keel will be where the "bottom" plank meets the keel, so, tapered would seem to make more sense now that I see what you did.

I am NOT criticizing, I am asking, I know NOTHING about what I am doing - lol! So, any advice or help would be appreciated.

Sorry, it’s been a while since I’ve worked on the boat, and since I’ve been on the forum. Hopefully you found the answer already but if not… you want an angle in the rabbit to match the angle of the plank that fits into the rabbit… the planks don’t meet the keel at a 90 degree angle…

• 9 months later...

Well…

IMG_4765.thumb.jpeg.e796b843dbd221a7e9cf147b400270e6.jpeg

I had hopes of getting a lot further today. I really thought I had more 1/4x1/16 stock but I just can’t find it anywhere, and of course every store around me that might have some is closed for Thanksgiving… so I guess this is it for today’s progress…

That’s what I did when I built mine. No regrets…would do the same again.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Decided to go blue… (cap rails aren’t glued on yet, they’re just sitting roughly in place…)

IMG_4792.jpeg.fa9b5630de491a02ca87c45b782bbb4f.jpeg

Not too sure about the color of the stand… it doesn’t really seem to match anything on the boat. I’m trying to decide between white, black, or blue; at this point I’m leaning towards black hoping it will sort of disappear underneath the boat…