Constructo materials.

Nikiforos

Hello there. Unsure if right forum, so, mods, please move if not.

I'm considering purchasing Constructo's 1/26th 'Louise' Victorian steam launch from my favourite stockist for Mrs Nikiforos, who has a thing for Victorian regattas, porcelain and pomp.

On various modelling sites that have relevant build logs, mention is made of including poor quality materials. This year I purchased some Constructo barrels for my Sambuq which resembled pine cones and a Constructo grapple which broke into two pieces just superglueing the thing together. This evidently leads me to believe this range is indeed inadequate quality and since the Louise is going for @£90 or so, one wonders if it'll be a case of Her Majesty's pounds, shillings and pence down the drain. 

Does anyone have recent experience with Constructo parts (wood, metal or whatnot) or the Louise itself, as of recently (/10/2019)? I'm not claiming all Constructo products are naff, but just in this case, you know?

Thank you, what ho! etc.

Edited by Nikiforos

• 3 weeks later...

I'm rather new to this, having recently completed my first build, the HMS Golden Hind by Dusek. 

I've begun Constructo's HMS Endeavor.  My issue with this company is over a couple of issues.  Firstly, I make mistakes.  A lot of mistakes.  I correct them as I go along and although I'm neither reckless nor wasteful, I am apt to need more wood than is supplied.  Fine, I buy more.  Although Constructo provides pretty decent materials, their woods are quite exotic.  The hull of this model is a single planking of 2mm x 6mm Sapelly.  Not surprisingly, I 'd never heard of Sapelly.  Unfortunately, neither has any supplier ANYWHERE.  I should mention, it looks a lot like Walnut.

Constructo is owned by Diset in Spain.  I wrote them a letter in Spanish and mailed it off.  A month later I received an email indicating that they would sell me wood but that postage might be very expensive.  Don't care.  I responded by placing an order for hull planking.  Weeks went by and no response.  Sent the email again.  No response.  Went to their website yesterday and submitted the same request via their contact form.  An hour later I received a response.  Due to vacations I may not receive a response to my inquiry until August 19th of next year.

I immediately ordered a bundle of 2mm x 6mm Walnut planks elsewhere and went to my shop and began removing the eight or so Sapelly planks I had already installed on the hull.

In contrast.  While I was working on the Golden Hind and needed assistance, Daniel Dusek, answered my request for assistance (to my astonishment) from a hospital bed, while recovering from a terrible bicycle accident.  Two entirely opposite end of the same spectrum and a lesson learned.  Constrocto is in the business of selling models.  Need an additional part for that model..... buy a spare model.

Edited by tedirene
clarity

tedirene, I understand your frustration but don't give up: sapele (there are other spellings as well) is closer to mahogany than walnut and you should be able to find a supplier. The US based sponsors of this website are worth a look, I can't give first hand experience of any of them as I am in the UK. 

This is a good resource:

https://www.wood-database.com/sapele/

HTH, and welcome to MSW.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

19 minutes ago, bruce d said:

tedirene, I understand your frustration but don't give up: sapele (there are other spellings as well) is closer to mahogany than walnut and you should be able to find a supplier. The US based sponsors of this website are worth a look, I can't give first hand experience of any of them as I am in the UK. 

This is a good resource:

https://www.wood-database.com/sapele/

HTH, and welcome to MSW.

Bruce

Thank you Bruce.  Not sure how this thread works, as I could not find a "Reply" option to your comment, other than the to give it a thumbs up.

Is Mahogany a good working wood for single plank hulls?

2 hours ago, tedirene said:

Not sure how this thread works, as I could not find a "Reply" option to your comment,

Scroll down to below the latest post: reply box is located there. Just a minor point, the setup on this forum is that replies are to the thread, not the individual post. You have, of course, found the 'quote' feature.

I will leave comments on the use of mahogany as planking to those that have used it. There are many adventures in planking described in the section dedicated to the subject,

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/14-building-framing-planking-and-plating-a-ships-hull-and-deck/

... and who knows what tips you will find useful?

I suggest you post in the 'New member Introductions' section on the front page. Your project and problems will get more attention from the knowledgeable members there.

HTH

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Sorry to this Bruce, but this is place for those comments about kits, and this topic since it relates to Constructo.

Tedirene, do open a topic in the New Members Introduction area and introduce your self.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have built two of their kits.  HMS Bounty and the HMS Victory which was over $400.00 and that was considered high then.  I struggled with the Bounty, never did like how it turned out,  And not to bash the mfg/kit, my skills then were not where they are now.  The Vic however, I had a good grasp of ship building skills by then.  But alas due to poor quality of materials, construction method from mfg, this was one of those that went into the never is void.  I have not bought another since then.  But hey, thats my 2 cents worth.  Many build to high standards from these kits, I just never could build them as I have done other mfg's.

Rick😎

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

Try Sapele, Sapelly veneer; cut your own strips. Search for your local 'wood veneer' supplier -Sapele is usually in the .lower price range (@£5 at least here in England) for a rough example of 250 cm x 15 mm  x 0.6mm. Do refine your search to exclude adhesive backing - often your header will be 'decorative veneer'.

Not everyone  will enjoy working with great scads of veneer, but you want black or white ebony veneer? Paduak? Cedar? It's always avaiable in veneer. Plus, most offer small 10mm x 15mm -ish samples. Might be enough for that tiny piece of deck furniture...

Nika

1 hour ago, Nikiforos said:

Try Sapele, Sapelly veneer; cut your own strips. Search for your local 'wood veneer' supplier -Sapele is usually in the .lower price range (@£5 at least here in England) for a rough example of 250 cm x 15 mm  x 0.6mm. Do refine your search to exclude adhesive backing - often your header will be 'decorative veneer'.

Not everyone  will enjoy working with great scads of veneer, but you want black or white ebony veneer? Paduak? Cedar? It's always avaiable in veneer. Plus, most offer small 10mm x 15mm -ish samples. Might be enough for that tiny piece of deck furniture...

Nika

Thanks Nika.  However, at this stage I'm a man of simple, straightforward needs and rather meager skills.  I have finally opted for using mahogany planks.  As Bruce pointed out to me, the woods are very similar.  With the added bonus of being readily and fairly cheaply available.  Albeit, I had never thought of cutting my own planks from a larger sample.  Thank you.