Perseverance 1807 by Troy Chaffee - Modeller’s Shipyard - Scale 1:48 - Colonial Brig

Keel layed in with minimal issues.  Some sanding to make the frames fit in the keel but nothing drastic.  Only had A few issues with the #5 not wanting to line up at 90 degrees but I was able to correct it with some binder clips.  Started fairing the hull last night.  That’s been the most daunting part so far but I’m taking it slow and step by step.

6E81FFD8-F0AC-4F48-A0BB-8C9D5D047695.jpeg

Looks a great project, Troy.  Robert Campbell was a prominent member of early Colonial society and was described by Governor Bligh as a 'humane and honest merchant'.  It would be interesting to know how Modeller's Shipyard developed their kit as the only contemporary information I know of the 'Perseverance' is that she was described as a 'brig of 136 ton'.

John

So just a few issues I’ve found within the model and plans themselves.

1).  Some of the instructions in the book are incomplete. On sheet #5 a sentence starts “Also ensure...” but there is no continuation...anywhere.  “Also ensure..” seems like an important start to something.  Guess I’ll figure it out at some point.

2). One of the cross beams is a bit to large and will take some modifications to make it work. It’s the same cross beam on both sides of the false deck.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Troy, I’m building this model at the moment. It is my second build, my first was the Mermaid. I also encountered the oversize bulkhead. The bulkhead beside the oversize one turned out to be undersized when it came to fairing, I had to add some strip to the undersize one and sand back the oversize one. I did not discover this until it was all glued up and I was fairing the bulkheads. I am wondering if those two bulkheads aren’t’ mislabeled, I know mine were in the correct position according to their labeled number. Have fun.

Hello Troy from the land down-under.

I've also been busy on this model but have not posted any updates for quite sometime due to work and family commitments.  I'll be doing so in the next few days and will keep up with how you are coming along with your build log. 

I also had some adjustments to be made on the bulkhead and cross beams.....not major but a little annoying! Still I have built the Mermaid and the Norfolk, both Modellers Central kits and overall I am pretty happy with their kit. Some kit bashing was required but overall very enjoyable build projects.

Chook....I'll also follow along on your project as well.

Cheers...........Fernando  :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

This is a “patch” I added to one of the cross beams that was short.  I’m not sure if I did it correctly or how others would have, but this was my work-around: I cut a section from the un-used plywood provided in the original box.  I hand carved  (and at one point...thumb carved 🙄🤭...what’s a little blood in a tall ship?!) a piece to match the curvature of the cross beam.  I glued it in and after letting it set I sanded it down.  I didn’t want to use the provided “plank” material because I’m not sure how much I have vs. how much I need. (Another issue with the instructions).

Interrogative:  Is there an easier way? Did I make this way harder then I needed? 

4628FAB3-B032-4678-BF1A-CEE75E262C53.jpeg

Edited by Troy Chaffee

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Troy Chaffee said:

Now I’m at the point of making some “non-correctable” errors.  Wish me luck!

There's no such thing as a 'non-correctable' error, Troy.  Difficult to correct - yes; non-correctable - no.  Some of us can vouch for that fact! ;) :D

John

Hi Troy

I had the same issue on my model and worked around it after much cutting and pasting and sanding.....the end result was fine (I think!) Good luck with your model:10_1_10:

Cheers............Fernando   :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

• 1 month later...

Hi Troy, definitely square. I had the same issue but on going forward a few pages I noticed Photo 35 on sheet 13 that the first layer of planking shows it as square. 

See the photo of what I did  below

IMG_20180909_155849.thumb.jpg.f55322ef39b2ce169046fe7a0c814beb.jpg

IMG_20180909_155842.thumb.jpg.6c7d21e03b01e0725a43c32a8e0f7ad3.jpg

Cheers........Fernando :cheers:

Previous Builds - 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree Troy. I was given a packet of these some years ago. I have only ever used them once and they were a waste of time.

Cheers...........Fernando :cheers:

Previous Builds - 

• 3 weeks later...

I soak mine in boiling water and slowly bend them. I bought a pair of planking crimps early on, used it a couple of times then have been kept it in the bottom drawer ever since. Boiling water is the go!

Cheers.........Fernando :cheers:

Previous Builds - 

• 2 weeks later...

Planking has been an issue with me...it’s my first ship and I’m learning.  Thanks to advice from the shipmates and some deeply buried articles on this site I’ve decided to get rid of the “planking tool” and create an easy jig.   I pulled all the planks and started again... my OCD stepped up and wouldn’t let me proceed😂 

9004954C-AB31-459A-9C42-731202873C5E.jpeg

Hi Troy, sorry that you are having issues with planking. It is a painstakingly slow and meticulous process. I use a combination of soaking in water, planking tool and a template to bend the planks to fit. I only do one plank each day. You can use the plywood deck to get the shape of the first plank. Soak it in water for an hour or so, then starting in the middle bend it to the shape of the curve of the deck and pin or clamp it in place for 24 hours. Take it off and give it a final adjustment using the planking tool, then glue and pin or clamp it in place for 24 hours. You now have the first plank on and it is the perfect template for the next plank. I shape, soak and clamp the next plank to the first and leave for a day, and the process rolls on. Just be particularly careful not to leave any glue on the surface of the first plank when you use this method as it would be easy to end up with the two planks glued together. Additionally the timber strips supplied are not all the same so make sure to select a timber strip with a nice straight grain if you are wanting to bend it around a curve by whatever method. From your photos some of the supplied strips are cut partly across the grain. That is OK just keep those particular strips for planks that don’t require as much curve. Planking takes me a long time but there are plenty of other parts to be working on while the planks are setting to shape. Just be patient, take your time and most importantly have fun.