HMS Victory by John Allen - Mamoli - 1/90 - Copper bottom

Have started log pics attached thanks to all for help so far big kudos to Grant Dale.

Am starting to place gunports, will follow advice and ignore factory slots, problem with planking I used a soldering iron when bending palnks for the armed launch was tedius and time consuming need advice on what is the best and most efficient plank bender on the market.

The wood supplied for the bottom (copper) is green, my personal choice is a light copper wash instaed of bright copper or the dark green has any body tried that and what were the results.

Pics attached of build so far and the 2 previous, armed launch, and cutter diligence that is temporily mounted on an ugly l bracket to keep cats from rigging until I can get another piece of cypress.

Am still finding my way around the site, apologize if I have any foo pahs in this post.

John Allen

post-2805-0-82922900-1369132699_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-01439500-1369132736_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-83197200-1369132765_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-59424100-1369132798_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-99320800-1369132834_thumb.jpg

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

John

I want to start my mamoli model of the Victory and have a problem in a recent house move I have lost the plans and instructions any chance you could copy yours and email to me happy to make a donation to the RNLI in appreciation of your time and effort. Mine is the 1:150 scale version if yours is larger it would still help to have a copy of the instruction etc as a starting point.

Would be happy to but give me some time, will have to reduce plans instructions no problem. Can start to send by Sat or Sun.

Send me an e-mail ancientmarinerjp@aol.com

John

John Allen

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

you could buy some more wood, maybe walnut 5mmx1mm and use copper tape to make the plates (maybe 5mm wide) then you can leave the copper for a little or a lot and then seal when desired colour is reached.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

Nice to see your log started John. Regarding the "copper" plates, if you go with the supplied green wood tiles, give them a light sand after attaching, then paint with copper paint, then lightly rub back the paint in some areas so the green shows through, it will give a nice aged patina effect. This is what i did on my build. Of course, you could opt to use real copper tiles, or copper tape instead. Captain's choice here. Good luck with your build. I'll follow along and help out where I can (if needed/wanted).

Hello John,

It is nice of you to share plans with other members.

But do make sure the plans aren't protected with a copyright.

Commercial use of plans is only allowed when written permission is granted by the draughtsman and/or owner of the original drawings.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Anja,

Excellent advice, would never have crossed my mind which diminishes as I get older.

Thanks for the heads up.

John

John Allen

On deck

Finished

I'm no legal eagle, but someone who buys a model, don't they also purchase the right to use the plans provided, or if he/she doesn't have any , a right to obtain them?. I don't think they'd mind, If they did then I wouldn't buy from them.

Like your train of thought

John Allen

On deck

Finished