Basic rigging lines on shrimp boat

Fright

I am currently working on Lindberg's 1:60 Shrimp Boat and I'm at the stage where I need to do my rigging. The diagram in the kit is somewhat useful but I still have some questions due to my lack of experience with parts of a ship, lines, blocks, pulleys etc. So here are my questions:

1) Am I correct in thinking that working lines are usually tan in color and fixed lines are usually black? With a shrimp boat, would some of the lines be wire cable and, if so, would the color be a dirty metal or dirty black? 

2) Are stays and backstays fixed lines and therefore black in color?

3) Are the 'boards' on a shrimp boat made of wood? If so, they should be a brownish color?

4) I've tried to find clear diagrams of rigging used on a Louisiana shrimp boat and I found these two.  On the 2nd diagram, I have been trying to use colored pencils to keep track of position of lines. Like I said, I'm a true layman when it comes to nautical terms! If anyone knows of a site or access to diagrams, I would greatly appreciate the help. Many thanks!

Shrimp-trawl-boat-Source-Maril-1983 (1).png

shrimp boat diagram.jpg

Robert O

Ooof...that's some complicated looking booms and rigging! I'll be very interested to see how this comes along for you. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 2 years later...

I'm looking for the hull plans to make a scratch build for this craft - to have a "Jenny" of my own, would you happen to know or have a pdf or such? I've got the Lindberg model kit, but it's only for reference regarding the cabin and other elements. I'm missing the grid lines for the hull.

The only thing that I know about shrimp boats is that I like to eat what they catch!

Having said that, I believe that some of the “working lines” would be wire rope too.  This would include lines leading directly to the trawls from the winches.  The wire rope supporting the mast, often referred to as Standing Rigging would probably be galvanized so more grey than black.

There is an excellent series of posts on the forum of a New England fishing boat.  The builder, “Fried Clams” does an excellent job of showing real working rigging.  Look it up.

Roger

On 6/7/2022 at 9:06 AM, Whitebeard said:

I'm looking for the hull plans to make a scratch build for this craft - to have a "Jenny" of my own, would you happen to know or have a pdf or such? I've got the Lindberg model kit, but it's only for reference regarding the cabin and other elements. I'm missing the grid lines for the hull.

Whitebeard, did you research the Miss Sherri (aka Jenny of Forrest Gump fame)?   I believe it was built by Desco Marine in St. Augustine.   Not sure if they are still in business but they were a few years ago.  I found an old address for them but no phone number or website so they may be defunct.   They may have the plans or similar ones as they built about 800 trawlers, and Miss Sherri may be one of them.   The Islander Yacht and old Californian Yacht boat yards gave me sets scaled prints back in the day once I explained it was for a model and not for reproduction of a real boat, &c. &c.  This could be a good route to take for your Jenny, even if it is from some other trawler shipyard if Desco is closed.  The Maritime Reporter and Engineering News may be able to steer you as well.  

I list of the boats built by Desco, last updated  February 2021,  is at http://shipbuildinghistory.com/shipyards/small/desco1.htm

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU