Pride of Baltimore with Bob Hunt Practicum

Tony Dee

Hello all. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during this crazy time.

i am planning on starting the Pride of Baltimore using Lauck Street practicums. I received the kit and am reading everything several times before I even attempt starting. One thing that Is interesting is that the plans show the planking widths 1/8” yet the kit ships with planks that are 3/16”. I know that I have to cut each plank to 1/8”. My question is what is the best method for doing this so that I get a good edge that will give me a tight fit during planking?

Should I not bother and just plank with the 3/16” provided?

Is this normal practice in kits to have to trim the width on each plank?

This will be my first build in quite a long time so any recommendations on how best to achieve this would be greatly appreciated. Is it as simple as a straight edge and knife or are there better methods.

Thanks in advance

Tony

Edited by Tony Dee

Looking through several build logs, it looks like they are using 3/16 planks.   They would certainly offer more flexibility when it comes to tapering.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I agree with Gregory that you should use the 3/16" planks.  This should not cause you any problems during the planking.  Good luck on your build and I look forward to following your progress.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Thank you. I'm going to re-read everything again this evening. This will be my first attempt and i really looking forward to it. My daughter lives in baltimore and she sees this ship in the inner harbor everyday. Hopefully i don't screw it up lol

I will do a build log once i get through all of the materials

Tony

Hi Tony,

I just finished this model and I used the 3/16" kit supplied strips.

Bob Hunt's practicums are generally not bad, but he really drops the ball with the rigging for POB. Take his rigging instructions with a grain of salt and spend a lot of time studying the plans. They're a bit hard to decipher, but everything you need to know is there. That was my experience.

Best of luck and stay safe.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

6 hours ago, David Lester said:

Hi Tony,

I just finished this model and I used the 3/16" kit supplied strips.

Bob Hunt's practicums are generally not bad, but he really drops the ball with the rigging for POB. Take his rigging instructions with a grain of salt and spend a lot of time studying the plans. They're a bit hard to decipher, but everything you need to know is there. That was my experience.

Best of luck and stay safe.

David

Hi David

i looked through your build log . Great job. I’m just going to take my time and do a little at a time. 

I’m waiting for a few tools to get delivered before I start. My biggest fear well not fear really is making sure I do a good job with planking since it will be my first 

thanks for your help

Tony

Don't sweat the planking too much. I'm a really crumby hull planker and could never produce a hull that could bear a natural finish. I rely a lot on sanding, wood filler and paint. If you're planning on painting your hull then you should be ok too. The important part is getting the hull faired properly. That's where you need to take your time. It's always tempting to get it over with as quickly as possible, but it really shouldn't be hurried. You may also have to build some bulkheads up with a thin strip. And don't worry about making a serious mistake. If you sand a bulkhead too much, you can just glue a strip on and re-shape it.

Once you have the shape of the hull correct, then there shouldn't really be any problems with the planking that you can't solve by sanding and filling. If you plan on a natural finish then you need to work to a higher standard than I usually do, but if you're planning to paint it, you shouldn't have any problems.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

On 4/19/2020 at 7:39 PM, Tony Dee said:

i am planning on starting the Pride of Baltimore

I'm looking forward to your build log of this beautiful ship. I have this model on the shelf along with several others. I'm about to start a new model but I'm still undecided which one to tackle next.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild