Standing rigging question

I'm currently in the process of installing the standing rigging on Heller's 1/50 Le Chebec and I'm puzzled: why all the blocks? The system is

very different from any other ship I've ever rigged and doesn't make much sense to me...it's almost like the masts are being rigged like yardarms.

Any enlightenment would be much appreciated. Looks pretty cool, anyway.

Chebec rigging.jpg

I may not be the one to comment on this since I am not knowledgeable on this type of vessel, but you may have already answered your question at least partially. "Looks pretty cool, anyway".  These ships of this period and earlier where very ornate and stylish. The blocks serve a purpose in adjusting the tension on the lines as needed. Setting them up this way made it look more fancy as were a number of running rigging lines of ships for that time period. Most of which probably could have been step up more simply. Could also be something as simple as "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Meaning that this is how it was done for years and the builders decided to continue with this approach. 

Without researching this further, and to get the conversation started, that's my best guess. If I am way off I would like to know what the real answer is also.

Scott 

Chebec's are different than most other ships.  You might do a search in the Scratch area and see what the builders there have done.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all for your responses and input, I have a much better understanding of that rigging style now. Thanks again.

Now, back to tying multiple blocks and toggles and then adjusting and tightening them. The rigging on the yardarms/sails

looks to be at least as complicated...have to make the wooden yardarms first, tho', the plastic ones are way too fragile and weak.

Fun stuff!