Beginner's build: Bluenose from Amati

Hello, everyone! I want to get into model ship building and have been doing research for some time now (especially here where everyone has been very helpful!) but I wanted to make sure I'm doing the right thing in choosing the right kit to begin with.

I really like how the Bluenose looks and the history behind it, and I found a kit from Amati that comes with the tools a beginner might need. At $250, this sounds like a good deal. Are they known for having good directions and diagrams? I think that will be very important.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if this is a good kit to start with (a lot of rigging? too much curvature?) for someone with no skills yet but plenty of patience!

Thanks for your help, and happy building!

And actually, I wondered also if it's worth getting the combo bundle for that price or the ~$75 model and pick up my own tools. If anyone could provide a full list of what I need (I have nothing besides normal household tools!), I could perhaps make a better price comparison.

Many thanks again!

Michael

I don't know what is included in that combo set but I feel like you'd be better off choosing your own tools for the remaining $175 (250-75). I would take a look at some build logs to see if you can get a feel for what tools but you'll most likely need (not inclusive, usually the directions include a recommended list of tools as well which can be a reasonable starting point):

• #11 hobby knife
  • Various grits of sand paper
  • Assortment of clamps
  • Paint brushes
  • Pin vise
  • Small drill bits
  • Glue (PVA and maybe CA)
  • Painter's tape
  • Paint

A schooner with sleek hull lines (i.e. not bluff-bowed) is a great beginner project, but I think that the Amati kit is in 1/100 scale if I recall correctly. Some modelers find that a fiddly scale to work in for wood models. As a new modeler, you would probably find 1/64 scale or larger easier to handle.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I don't know if you have your heart set on a Grand Banker, but have you checked out the new zulu and fifie kits from Vanguard Models? They're designed for beginners and incorporate all the latest design features. 

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

In the Article Database, are several articles on tools for beginners, some advanced, and also one on tools not to bother with.  Here's the link:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-materials-and-tools.php

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)