Hi, from Scotland

Hi ,all. I have just started getting into the Ship Modelling hobby, And I am in the process of building a 1:50 HMS Bounty by Constructo. But my ultimate goal is to build a ship that is not really well known and I think is absolutely beautiful. It is from the Royal Scottish Navy of James IV and called the Great Michael. I have written to the National Museum of Scotland to see if I can get any information about i as I have done a thorough search for a kit and turned up with zero, so it looks like I am gonna have to do it from the ground up all by myself. I hope to do it for my grand-kids before I end up with a wooden jacket. If anyone here has any information on this magnificent ship could you please pass it on. I know and have read all the Wikipedia information. Thanks

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome aboard!  Building a model of something that you have some connection to really helps to maintain your interest.  I have the same urge to build  a 3/16" scale scratch model of the Wisconsin schooner Denis Sullivan.  I have been aboard her, have taken numerous photos and even got some detail drawings from the architect, but I have been searching unsuccessfully for the hull drawings for years.  Better luck for you on your search.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Welcome to MSW, Papa-Raigin.  You might get help with researching if you post your questions here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/13-ships-plans-and-project-research-general-research-on-specific-vessels-and-ship-types/

There's a lot of knowledgeable folks here who don't often look in this subforum but do read the research area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good Evening Papa_Raigin;

Welcome to a very rewarding hobby!

I know something of the Great Michael's history, and it appears that there is very little documentary evidence surviving about her, a fact which has been mentioned with regret by other researchers into the history of ship development. Her dimensions are given as 240 feet long, with an internal breadth of 35 feet plus, supposedly, 10 feet of timber each side, which would give a total breadth of 55 feet. Ten feet of timber each side sounds highly unlikely, and would dramatically increase her displacement. Unless Lindsay, the Scottish chronicler who gives these dimension, meant ten feet in total, five feet each side. However, even assuming the breadth was 45 feet gives a length to breadth ratio of approximately 1:5.5, which is extremely unlikely for a ship built in the early 1500s, when most carrack type ships had a length to breadth ratio of between 1:3 and 1:4

I mention this only to make you aware that if it is not possible to be certain even of her principal dimensions, then there is no real prospect of having much of an idea of anything about her. As she ended up in the French Navy, their records might hold something about her, but it will not be easy to search there for you. 

This means that you have a choice between making a model of her based on pretty much whatever you like, or you will, unfortunately, need to search for a different ship to model. No ship from this period is known very well, as the evidence is scant, and reconstructions all contain many assumptions. 

I wish you all the best with whatever ship you model.

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS